Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nikki Sixx` Red Sparkled TBird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jayni_b, Oct 21, 2002.

1. jayni_b

jayni_b

Oct 21, 2002
    Near Glasgow
    Does anyone have any info on this bass. I only saw a quick flash of it on a dvd and am very interested in where he got it. Do you reckon it`s a Gibson Custom shop? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I really, really want one! Thanx, J.

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What year was that DVD from, if it's from the 80's-early 90's then it's probably a custom made Spector.

3. Yes Gibson makes (made) them. I think the model has been discontinued. A guy local to me has one for sale, a black one, if you're intersted I can put you in contact with him.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Sanctum: isn't it possible it is a Spector, he had a red sparkle Spector in the Dr. Feelgood video and I've only seen him with a black Gibson, am I wrong??

5. Anything is possible, as I don't know the complete history of basses :) I DO know that this Nikki Sixx black T-Bird is a Gibson, and that they did production of this model for a few years. Spector, AFAIK, never made T-Birds, although I guess the REX model is kind of similar - and of course Spector may have built him something custom. I don't think they ever did any production signature models of a Nikki Sixx bass.

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This is what I got at the Spector website, it is a custom made for Nikki Sixx but it was never a production line Spector.

7. Thats interesting ... so they had the model already and just signed up Rex to be the signature :D

OH GOD, i'm playing a nikki sixx bass! NOOOOOOOOO.......................................

Anyhow, the Gibson Sixx model is different than that. Has the regular TBird headstock, etc.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what's the matter?!?!?

NIkki is a cooler bass player than Rex of Pantera. your bass gained rock'n roll lineage with the Nikki association!!;)

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Pantera kicks ass, and Rex does some good to the line. Besides Donna D'erico, I don't know why Sixx has all the endorsements. Actually I do know why, and it has nothing to do with being a great bass player. Or am I totally off?

T-birds kick ass, no matter who makes them.

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    IMO Rex is the best metal bassist ever, nothing to do with chops it's all to do with what he plays is always appropriate for the song, he also swings like a mutha, as for as I'm concerned Nikki Sixx is not first and foremost a bass player, he's a rockstar, so I'm not comparing him to bass players.

11. Uh, I dont think he was being serious .... I felt the sarcasm ......

besides, lets not degrade this thread into a pissing contest, someone wanted to know about a BASS, not a bassist :)

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    ok well, he hasn't replied so I think we should just drop it until he replies, 2 choices a Spector or a Gibson, I bet $10 on the Spector;)

13. jayni_b

jayni_b

Oct 21, 2002
    Near Glasgow
    The dvd I saw the bass in was the new live Crue one. He only plays it for 1 song and I`ve been told it`s in a video too. It`s definately a Tbird, but I didn`t get a good look at the headstock. I`ve searched the whole internet but can`t find a pic to show you. The finish is glittery red if you know what I mean. Like the ruby slippers in the Wizard of Oz! Thanx.

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    what was the inlays on the neck like??

15. jayni_b

jayni_b

Oct 21, 2002
    Near Glasgow
    I`m trying to get a good pause on the dvd to check it out, but fat Vince keeps getting in the way! By the shape of the headstock from the back, I`d say it was a Gibson, and on the scratchplate where the bird usually is, there`s a logo of some sort there, but it`s in kinda hologram(?) colours and the lights are shining off it, so it`s really hard to make out. And I`m not a he!

16. jayni_b

jayni_b

Oct 21, 2002
    Near Glasgow
    Hey Limo, I think you owe your bud 10 bucks! I really think it is a Gibson. The spector tbirds had a spector headstock, didn`t they? This one`s def got a Gibson headstock. Oh, the inlays are just dots (looks like abelone).

17. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Can somone lown me $10???:D

18. jayni_b

jayni_b

Oct 21, 2002
    Near Glasgow
    I`ll GIVE you ten if you find out more about this bass for me!!! I can`t get any info about the spec anywhere.