1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nikki Sixx

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ZeroSymbolic, Dec 9, 2018.

1. I am probably going to buy this bass https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Nikki-Sixx-Signature-Blackbird-Bass-Guitar.gc . Since it is one of his signature models I've decided to learn a bit more about the man. I know that he played for Motely Crue and Sixx AM. Though I don't know much of their deep catalogues.
    In other words I am here for an education. Share stories of Nikki Sixx and your favorite basslines please, as well as anything else you feel is noteworthy on the subject.

Thank in advance,
    -ZS7188

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  3. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    No knobs? That’s different.

4. It's either on or it's off. That alone makes me want it lol.

5. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Nikki has quite the reputation as a rock and roll personality, but not much of one as a bassist. I like Motley Crue, but I can't think of a specific bass part in their catalog that stands out to me.

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    12 lbs? Nope.

BEADG63 and Charlzm like this.
  7. I pretty much agree based on what I know, but I'm gonna see if there are some gems out there.

8. After some research and looking around, I'm gonna say the guy is an excellent bassist.

His approach is to be as simple as possible, the man is a songwriter first and musician second. I read an interview where he says he was drawn to the bass because of it's simplicity and it's ease of use as a compositional instrument.

In other words we have a guy who ultimately serves the song, does what is needed and does it rock steady. It's minimal of what is required of a bassist.

Sixx's passion and talent is in his eye for visuals, ear for melody, and ability to write good lyrics.

Guy plays to his strengths and looks good doing it. Sounds pretty genuine to me.

NKBassman, Thibby, Ronnie681 and 8 others like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I’ve always dug the Dr Feelgood groove.

10. He & Lita Ford were dating & lived together at one time. He helped write one of her songs, which is a good one:

When Blackie Lawless decided to stop dabbling in the Black Arts, he sold his collection of paraphernalia to our guy & then the madness ensued.
    Lita claims some really weird things started to happen in their home, so he quit dabbling.

hintz likes this.
  11. Sequential

Sequential

Sep 21, 2018
    Naysayers can hem and haw all they want, but the guy created a lucrative franchise, wrote some great songs, and lived (and died) to tell the tale. Musically, he gets the requirements of the job done with style, which many players that have 100x his chops can’t always get right.

Most important to me, he’s a prime example of a guy that makes a recovery lifestyle cool, which is the last thing a recovery lifestyle looks like to a still suffering addict/alcoholic. I’ve known a few people that used Nikki’s example as a inspiration to clean up themselves.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  12. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Don't miss out on this book either. The Dirt!!
    image.

Also check out his YouTube shows. Talks to a lot of great artist.

The Rage and ZeroSymbolic like this.
  13. I read The Dirt & also Lita's autobiography.
    Apparently "The Heroin Diaries" is a good read!

packhowitzer likes this.
  14. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'll defend Nikki's bass playing: "Primal Scream"'s opening rolling bass line (as simple as it is) gets me pumped!

Did you ever hear about how he died? Probably the most rock and roll story of all time: Once after a night of hard partying, Nikki wanted another hit of heroin. Being too wasted to shoot up himself, he had the dealer give him the injection. Quite predictably, Nikki crashed. An ambulance was called, but Sixx was completely unresponsive; no vital signs at all. The paramedics gave him a shot of adrenaline directly into his heart: didn't work. Even though it was extremely risky, they prepared a second adrenaline shot, figuring there was nothing to lose since he was clinically dead already. The paramedics administered the second shot of adrenaline to the heart (Pulp Fiction style). Nikki sat bolt upright on the gurney and came to screaming!

This incident became the inspiration for the song "Kickstart my Heart."

15. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    his melodic line at the beginning of Dont Go Away Mad is perfect, also the beginning of Hooligans Holiday. mostly he served the song though. people like to crap on him, but honestly, he has a real cool laid back feel thats hard for me copy. its no problem playing the notes, but its just like AC/DC, not everyone can copy that same feel.

16. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    and thats what im talking about also. nothing hard about those notes, but his feel for them is perfect, not everyone can get that same feel out of it.

17. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    Nikki's strength is in songwriting. And for "Kickstart my Heart" alone he goes in the hall of fame.

Dasgre0g, JMacBass65 and FenderHotRod like this.
  18. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    that album doesn't get NEARLY the respect it deserves (except from every member of the band who's name isn't "Vince")...it's totally ripe for a revaluation.

Alowishus Mudd, munkeyfish and mmon77 like this.
  19. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I have heard better Bassists down at my local Pub at the Weekend!