Nikki Sixx????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by morty25, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Hey all, i was just wondering is this guy any good. Ive heard some Motley stuff and its not bad. He has his own signature Gibson Thurderbird bass aswell i think.

thanks morty

2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    He does his job.

Nothing more, nothing less. He primarily rides root notes throughout most of there tunes. And IMO isnt that good of a bassist at all, but then again its Motley Crue, its not meant to be complex music. (im actually quoting nikki on that)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I totally a agree with Cassa.

If you give their songs a listen, his "schtick"/ his "gimmick," song after song, is to mimic the guitar figure along with the guitar and then thump the lowest note of the figure every couple of measures in synch with the bass drums. He practically made a living off of repeatedly punching the lowest note of the guitar figure octaves...(a.k.a. "bass ostinatos").

As a bassist, he's pretty much of a "dummy" IMO or maybe it was the drugs. Ever heard the guy in an interview??? He's a knuckle dragger!

But, late at night , I get a kick out of playing the lines to "Dr. Feelgood"/"Same Old Situation"/"Girls Girls Girls" as guilty pleasures.

But he was a very good "showman" who was right for the time. He had stage presence and attitude nailed down, but certainly not musicianship, as Cassa points out.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

But Sixx played all that was needed by Crue. If John Pattitucci or Jaco Pastorious had been in the band, the combination might not have worked at all. Sixx had the look, attitude and the minimum skill needed to make Motley Crue a sucess for its time. Today, I don't think they'd get very far.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, it's keith richards.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Gene Simmons Lite! Ask for it by name.
    He did the job.
  7. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Like everyone says, he did the right job for the band. His tone and style worked just right for the music.
  8. Listen to the Feelgood album and listen closely for the change in bass tone on "Time for Change". Nikki is playing piano on that one and Bob Rock is on Bass. Total different sound!!. Nikki also owns most of the writting credit for their albums, so at least its not like Metallica where Jason had to only play the notes he was told to play.
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I guess in the early days, Nikki was so bad that he couldn't even play in time.

Still, he looks cool as hell and I totally dig the line to "Rock n' Roll Junkie".
  10. I just finished reading their book "The Dirt" great stuff in there and alot of their lyrics make more sense if you know the stories behind them
  11. anyone tempted to buy a JVC Nikki Sixx signature car audio amp as advertised in BP?
    "the world's first signature car audio amplifier"
  12. Nikki has discovered the money in branding. But to stay closer to his roots I think he should brand his own liquor, or drugs or something. I will check out that JVC next time I am near a stereo shop.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    that is a good book, i like vince's stuff, alot of its really sad and touching.
  14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    great rock'n roller non nonsense bass player.

has attitude.

and the book the dirt is a really good one. i was interested expecially by mick mars.
  15. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    that is one ugly bassist. nah, hes a good guy (?). but im going with cass, he does his job, and may i add that his gibson custom bass is pretty cool.
  16. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i like nikki's solidity. he can lay down a bottem end pretty well.
  17. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Nikki Sixx was one of the reasons I started playing bass in the mid eighties. I was 14, and snuck out to see my first concert ever. It was Motley Crue and Ozzy! Nikki Sixx was a mad man all night, he kept jumping and rolling all over the stage. He then came out in the front of the stage while Ozzy was playing and just went nuts. That sold it, I wanted to be Nikki Sixx. Of course a very short time later I heard Ride the Lightning by Metallica, and that was it, good bye glam metal, hello real metal. Cliff was it back then.
    So I will never say anything bad about Nikki, he gave me quiet a memory and a start on the bass.
  18. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    most people on this board could easily match nikki's talent... but... he did his job and came up with the riffs.. we didnt.. so we cant trasht talk....
  19. twangtwang

Sep 10, 2002
    nikki sixx is in motley crue so is ****, coz the crue is cock rock, and glam metal is totally too happy
  20. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I think you could best describe nikky sixx(sp) in the same way you'd describe his bass. Looks cool, a little dark, a little glam, but has only two settings: on and off.

So to simplify, looks great and does what needs to be done.

IMO, the guitar kinda pisses me off. NO volume control, NO tune control. So what are you paying for, Nikky's name and a black satin finish.