Nikolai Fraiture, Strokes bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jan 2, 2004.

1. walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    What do you guys thinik of him? Sorry im bored and just wanted to start a thread:p He has a cool Jazz bass though.
  2. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    I think he's good.
    Now I'm not crazy about the strokes, but I do know that if they had some flashy, technical up-his-own-arse bassist constantly using some "interesting" ostinato lines in their songs, they would completely suck. However, they don't, they have a tasteful solid bassist who fits them like a glove. Fair play Nikolai, and to the band with the coolest collective names ever.
  3. walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    yeah I totally agree with you. Like in the Song "12:51" he isn't doing some flashy line, he's just providing a steady "heartbeat" for the band, he's perfect for em.
  4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Not really a Strokes fan but I do like a few of their songs(12:51, Barely Legal, Last Night, Someday and Is this it). Is this it has a cool bassline by the way.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I like him. He has a very old school sound.
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think he's decent. When I first heard the Strokes I was really turned off by them. A lot of people were making them out to be the "new revolution" of rock music and some such which was pretty stupid because they're a very retro-fied band. So, all the hype killed them for me,and their first album was alright..but it never really stuck with me.

I really like their second album though, it's got a lazy pop sense about it that reminds more of the Smiths "Louder than Bombs" a bit. I think "Room on Fire" is good driving music and a much better fit for the Strokes.
  7. i'll tell you one thing. I think he kicks @ss. Having seen them live several times and listened to their albums repeatedly, i think he is a great bassist. Maybe not flashy, but solid. And either to his or the sound guys credit, when they play live, his bass sound is produced wonderfully just like on their albums. Its unbelievable, considering the often times heard "crappy mix" at most shows in south florida.
  8. The Strokes' debut album is one of my current faves. Very good "less-is-more" playing on that one, not only in regards to the bass lines :)
  9. Even thought I despise the Strokes with every last grain in my body, ;) I would say that, like every one above, he is tasteful and solid, and plays what is required for the song.
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Looks like he's the 'Son of Lurch.'

Shows the importance of daily shampooing.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :rolleyes: yep a sucker bassist for a sucker band... not much talent (any of them), much more hyped instead...
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thats the sound guys and a good PA. Not much technique to go wrong with, neither much spectacular or clear bass sound, so its not much of a kunst. Go and see Marcus Miller, a great jazz-funk player, and an even better sound. The Ozell Tapes - The Official Bootleg is all live, and you wouldnt believe how good it is untill you listen to it.
  13. "is this it" is probably in my top 10 favorite basslines.
  14. HAHA!
  15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It is a great bassline. "Hard to explain" is great as well, simpler than "Is this it" but just sounds great to me.
  16. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i like the band and i like tha bass player.

ha has good spaces between those light guitars and i feel that he uses them really wisely. he's playing is simple, effective and fresh. great melodic sense, fits the band perfectly.

Oct 28, 2003
    His teacher is now my bass teacher, so as long as he is on the map thats all good. our teacher preaches about playing clean notes, and most importantly playing in the i know he is doing what the bass is all about, the pocket...anchor that band baby!
  18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Just curious, who is that? PM me if you don't want it in a public forum
  19. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I like him a lot. True, he isn't flashy, but he really does fit the songs. Kinda like a lot of the stuff Roger Waters did with Pink Floyd. Different music, but they have similar bass approaches.
  20. Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Back from the grave....

*Great* band. It isn't about chops; It's about songs and it's about PARTS. On almost every song they each play a separate part that is essential to the song. Not a lot of doubling going on.