1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nikolai Tesla Museum

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frank Tuesday, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nikolai Tesla's old laboratory is up for sale. A non-profit group is trying to purchase the land to preserve his original workshop and build a museum. But a developer is trying to buy the land so that he can raze the old workshop and put in a strip mall.

http://www.teslasciencecenter.org/

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Building a museum is a grand endeavor, But I think their (Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe) primary objective should be to purchase the property from Agfa Corp. to prevent the developer from razing the historic site.

The museum part could be done later....imo

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Maybe they could move the laboratory to another place more suitable? That place looks like a dump. I wouldn't visit that "museum" and I am a big fan of Tesla.

-Mike

4. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That is exactly what their plan is. Buy the land, and save the historic building. AGFA is asking US$1.6M for the land. Once that is done, then they start fundraising for the actual museum.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh, my mistake. I thought it was already a museum. I hope the vandals that broke in did not destroy the place inside.

-Mike

6. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Anyone know why it's a superfund site?

7. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The site was owned by Peerless Photo, who manufactured photo emulsions for many years. Peerless was bought by AGFA, and the plant was shut down in the '80s.

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    All the oatmeal stuff about Tesla is amazing! So, so funny. I hope the site get's purchased by someone with intentions of preservation and honoring a great scientist.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm not usually the type to go fanatical over a spot something is in, but those people wouldn't have the power (well, delivered in AC form) to RUN that strip mall were it not for Tesla. Massive respect for that man, he was absolutely brilliant.

10. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    It would be really cool if they could build a full-scale replica of Tesla's 200 foot tall transmission tower on its original footing. I would cheerfully pay to see that. But lets not get the cart in front of the horse.....