1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by clockworkwar, Dec 4, 2006.

1. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Before I start sorry if there is already a thread for this, I tried searching.

So I have been an owner of a digital camera for a long time, and film SLR's I even have an old Olympus 0M-10. But I have never concidered getting a digital SLR, which is what I am thinking of getting now.

I have thought about Cannons, but I feel a Nikon would be better as I tried a D50 a while back, but now theres a D40 is it any good? I do not have enough money for a D80 atm, but I could save up, if the D40 does not fit the bill.

My choice of the D40, is that its relatively cheap, chunky yet not heavy, and seems to have a high quality about it. Would this assumptions be right?

Thank you for any help people give me.

2. I was a diehard Nikon user, for all my film shooting years. I choose to make the switch to Canon, when I went digital. A friend, who runs the photo department a well known art school reccomended Canon. Nikon ticked me off, by charging twice as much as Canon, for the Battery/vertical grip ( fake motor-drive) as Canon. Still, it's a shame to have to retire all my old glass.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been in the market for a DSLR for a while now as well. There's a great site called DPreview that does superb in-depth reviews of every digital camera in existence. I was reading the preview for the D40 the other day, and am intrigued by the D40 kit too. It looks pretty decent for an entry level DSLR, but it's missing some features that the D50 has. Looks like you can only use auto-focus with certain lenses.

I'd go with a Nikon over a Canon. Even though I've had nothing but good luck w/ Canon products. Nikon seems to be more the industry standard in professional photography. Nikon is also great because of their standard mount. Lenses aren't cheap, so compatibility might be important to you if you want to upgrade your body eventually.

I'm no expert though, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. There are a bunch of guys on this board who are very knowledgeable on this subject. Good luck!

4. I have a D50 and absolutely love it. it just felt better to me than the Canon.

Also, I agree with 43%'s DPreview plug. Great, great site with seriously in-depth reviews!

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    It was a toss up for me between the Nikons and the Canons. I ended up with the Canon RebelXT, and haven't been disappointed. I've noticed that Nikon's new fleet of cameras have bumped up the resolution but also come way down in price. If I were shopping today, I might make a different choice.

I will say that I'm still learning my way around the camera and its only been very recently that I've started to feel like I'm really in control of things...but it would be the same with any DSLR in manual mode.

On another note, I'll be taking photo classes this coming semester...either on the side or as 'main campus' classes if'n they'll let me in. So it will be back to shooting film with my ol' Pentax K1000.

7. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I do like the D40, and I have pretty much decided to purchase one now!

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Awesome!! Make sure to post a review when you get it.

9. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I shall, and go somewhere interesting to get some example photos for you lot!