1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nimbus Reverb vs Carbon Copy Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monkeyfinger, May 21, 2012.

1. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I am considering replacing my MXR Carbon Copy delay with an Iron Ether Nimbus reverb. It seems to me that I have been using my delay as a poor man's reverb more than anything else. I really like the delay, but I don't have room on my pedalboard for both. I have not considered a reverb before because there was nothing that I thought was usable on bass in a live situation. (I have an older model EBS reverb, but I didn't like it for anything else but solo playing.) Now that the Nimbus is, I see much more potential for use in real playing situations. Has anyone here used the Nimbus in place of delay? How has it worked out?

2. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    Seriously, the Nimbus is phenomenal. I have only had it a month, and I dial new sounds in nearly everyday.

It's not a delay, but I can't imagine anyone who likes delays/reverbs/ambience not loving it.

My $.02!

3. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, sorry I missed you response. Thanks for the input. I strongly suspect this will replace my delay soon. (I may still keep the delay, because I do like it and it is relatively cheap.)

4. matdras

matdras Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    +1 on the Nimbus. Mine came in last week and I'm still sort of flabbergasted...

5. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Apples-to-oranges comparison. You'll want to keep a delay. If you aren't happy w/ the CC there are plenty of other options out there. The Nimbus seems like a really nice sounding reverb. My only issue with it is that it doesn't do "trails". For me there's nothing worse than creating this nice ambient soundscape during, say, an interlude section and then having to abruptly clip it off in order to drop back into the song. If it were me and I HAD to have a Nimbus, I'd also just go ahead and buy a trails/buffered bypass loop to go along with it.

6. A Nimbus is def on my want list. From what I've heard in demos, it seems like a great tool for ambient type parts. sucks it doesn't do the trail thing..

I see a delay as icing on the reverb..

I know this is a silly question but does the placement of a reverb matter in an effects pedal chain? what I mean is, does it need to be dead last, as in after preamp pedals, in order to function well?

7. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm pretty sure you could put reverb before a preamp pedal, provided it wasn't a 'dirty' pre. I'd have to very respectfully disagree about the icing metaphor. I feel like delay is the essential/classic time effect, which can be greatly enhanced/augmented by reverb. Totally subjective, of course...to each his own :D

8. Thanks for the info, I guess its a matter of actually trying it out first hand!

I can agree to disagree, though I never said if the icing would make or break the cake ;)

having said that, I like my cake sans-icing :bag:

9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Reverb trail? Is that like the decay of the actual reverb effect?

10. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    not exactly. it's when the effect gradually 'trails' off after the pedal has been bypassed. it's not really possible with true bypass switching because the circuit has to be active in order to achieve the trails.some verbs are offering a switch to go between true bypass and buffered (i.e. Neunaber Wet v3, Hardwire RV7, etc.)

11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Ah so it doesn't actually have to do with the actual effect then? It's just to do with switching to and from it? It doesn't actually have anything to do with getting a crazy long reverb like this?

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Perhaps you'd find more use from a delay with tap tempo. I know it completely changed the way I was using delay. It gives you a lot more usability. Never again a delay without tap tempo for me.

13. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    The Nimbus is great, but it has been bumped off my board by the new SA Dimension Reverb. Having separate high and low dampening filters makes the SA great with bass - it's a really versatile pedal (also does regular delay).

Edit: You can make the SA trail off when "soft-bypassed" with an expression pedal, or using the hidden soft-bypass mode, for those who are interested in that functionality.