Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nintendo DS. Anyone get one yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Dec 27, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Before we get to into this. I dont want this too turn into a "PsP is better" type of discussion.

Anyone get one yet? I have been looking to find one, but they appear to be sold out before they even arrive at the store. Are they hard to find?

So how are they. Seem worth the $150?? I have a Gameboy Advance that I play more than anything. Portabilty is the key why. I have a GameCube, PC and a PS1 and I play the GB more since I can take it anywhere, play on work breaks, car, bus rides etc.

2. PSP is better. :D

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I knew it!!! First post even.....off withyourself!!

4. Well it's 9:20 PM now and I think PSP is better.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and for the uninitated, the PSP is???

6. Playstation Portable - Sony's attempt at making a handheld system...comes out sometime early-mid 2005.

To get back on topic...even though I love Nintendo's handhelds I'm kinda sketchy about buying one; the two screens just scream "CHEAP GIMMICK!" imo.

Maybe my opinion will change.

7. Why, Paint Shop Pro, I believe.

Actually by "PSP", they are referring to the Sony PlayStation Portable.

8. Dang. I hate that when the little ones get in and post while you're still typing. ;)

9. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    DS is garbage right now, IMO.

Lots of useless features (Stylus, what? Warezed MSPaint, WHAT???) and a lame gimmick with the 2 screens. However, the wireless multiplayer is a great idea, and works well. Wait a few months and check the quality of upcoming games.

10. Yeah, I like the fact also that it only takes one cartridge for several people to play multiplayer...thats what I've heard, at least. But other than that, I totally agree.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    That's really cool, only needing one cartridge. Wow, I havn't even seen or heard the word cartridge forever. :).

12. The DS is a great little device, I am very happy with mine. The screens are brighter than the SP, but be aware that Advance games are limited to single player mode (no link port, wireless aware ones may work but I haven't had a chance to test that) and pre-Advance games are unsupported. The pen type stylus isn't where the bonus is in the touch screen, the thumb stylus (on the wrist strap) is. That is what allows for greater control in games.

People who are saying the PSP is better are A) missing the point and B) seemingly unaware that the PSP has had nothing but problems (bad screens (dead pixels and/or completely dead screens), power problems, generally poor Q.C.). The PSP will be interesting when the problems are worked out, but the DS is great now (though more titles would be nice). The two systems aren't really in competition though, the PSP wants to be a portable multimedia device (movies, music and games) and the DS is mainly aimed at portable gaming with a few other functions (pictochat, for example) also available. Different devices, different goals. These are toys, people. There is no need to argue about them...

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

The big thing for me is the PSP is going to cost $400 when it comes out. Plus I have heard alot of problems about it. Mostly the power issues.

DS movies should work in the near future. As of now the Advance(regular) can play 44 minutes of video. I heard the new DS catridges can hold alot more than that.

Unless the PSP disks can be burned in a cd or dvd burner I dont have any interest.

14. $400? Did Nintendo give you those numbers? :p

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/27/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm interested in the DS, if I was more into portable gaming I'd definitely get one. But, I'm not really into portable gaming, so I'm not going to get either a PSP or a DS, at least not now, I suppose it's possible somewhere down the line.

But, the DS appeals to me more than the PSP.

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sorry I didnt edit your post I hit edit rather than quote oops.!!

That is what I heard I believe on Tech TV about 2 weeks ago. They were saying that might be a negative hit on sales etc.

17. I'd like to play the remake of Super Mario 64. They added new playable characters with different attributes, and changed some of the puzzles (iirc).

I also wonder how it handles on a D-Pad.

I'd really need to play one for a few hours to see if I'd like the DS, right now I'm just too uncertain.

18. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm really enjoying my DS, and I can't wait for some of the games that are coming out early '05, namely Wario Ware DS.

19. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Psh. The Super Limited Edition Mega-Platinum Solar-Powered Sega CD was ages ahead of all of these "portable" gaming devices.