1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nintendo DS - I Think I'm Gonna Cave.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Nov 10, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, I'm not a gamer at all. I've never owned a video game consol, ever.

But I love Nintendo games. Mario games especially. I don't want to shell out for the Wii system, and I want something portable. The PSP is too expensive for me as well.

This NDS thing looks pretty cool. Does the touch screen actually improve gameplay? Because if not, I'd rather go for the much cheaper SP. I had the original GameBoy Advance, and it sucked. I had to be directly under a light to see anything, 'cause there was no backlight. Has this issue been fixed?

So, Nintendo DS owners: Do you dig it? Is it better than the SP? Anything I should know about it that isn't so hot?

Thanks,
    Graeme (n00b gamer)

2. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Well, it doesn't help or hurt it. Not all the DS games are exceptional, but there are a few gems. And you can play any game boy game (advanced or not) on it. The blacklight is good, and the battery life is awesome. I'd get the DS since it can play the old GBA games and DS games. Plus its not that expensive.

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I had a similar thread about a week ago. I've got GAS for a DS too. I didn't know you could play GBA games on it too. That's a solid point for the DS. :help:

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The only thing that's keeping me from buying this is that the second screen looks a little gimmicky. And I don't need a clock and a calender and all that extra stuff. I just want a simple thing to play games. The SP is simple and cheap, but I'm the type of person who only needs one or two games, and that Mario Kart DS gets good reviews everywhere (which obviously can't be played on the SP).

Graeme

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a history with handhelds. First Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, Sega Handeld(name??), DS, Sony PSP a couple other odd balls.

I would say the DS is the biggest bang for $$ handheld. I do more gaming via handheld vs platform/PC as I do it while commuting or at work during breaks or down time(hospital/ER).

The second screen will be used and it helps as it will often time it will post needed stats, radar, rearview mirror. This would be hard to show on just the single screen.

I use my DS as much as my PSP. Load times on the PSP are the killer. Graphics are better but the load times absolutely can ruin "on the go" quick gaming. Star Fox Command is a good one for the dual screen.

I trust Nintendo to support the DS much longer than the PSP or anyother hand held. Their history of supporting the Gameboy/Advance is crazy.

I would look into the newer slimmer DS.