1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nintendo DS Korg Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 13, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I'm sold

Music creation isn't anything new on the Nintendo DS. Nintendo's Daigasso! Band Brothers and Ubisoft's Jam Sessions have let budding musicians fiddle around with writing their own tunes, but it's Korg DS-10 that may offer the most to on-the-go songwriters. Korg DS-10 comes with two analog synth simulators, a drum module, and a 6-track/16-step sequencer, all of which can be controlled and manipulated using the Nintendo DS touchscreen. You're right, dear reader, that does sound pretty boss.

The included sounds come straight from Korg themselves for authenticity and credibility. Even cooler? Wireless support lets multiple musicians hook up for group performances. Interested?

Here are the official specs:
    - Two patchable dual-oscillator analog synth simulators:
    - Four-part drum machine that uses sounds created with the analog synth simulator
    - Six-track (analog synth x 2, drum machine x 4) /16-step sequencer
    - Delay, chorus, and flanger sound effects available from the mixing board
    - Three note-entry modes: touch-control screen, keyboard screen, matrix screen
    - Real-time sound control mode via touch-control screen
    - Exchange sounds and songs and play multiple units simultaneously through a wireless communications link

The software is set to debut at the International Musikmesse Frankfurt this week, if you happen to find yourself there. If not, it ships in Japan this July for 4800 yen. It's officially "for Japan only", so you may want to import.

The KORG DS-10 site has an MP3 sample of what the software sounds like. Expect me to be recreating my own Yuzo Koshiro remixes all summer long.

[​IMG]

korg-ds10.

From the last picture it looks like you draw the patch cables in on the synth.

I really really really want this :D

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    That is sooooo cool. Tayste you will probably wet yourself when you see this :D

4. Yep, it is a video demonstration :D
    This is a good reason for me to buy a DS ... you just got to love the Japanese for this

5. My daughter's got a DS, so will this software work on a bog standard, pink :rolleyes:, DS more used to my little pony than anything else?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I already have a DS and a Tour getting lined up in Japan hopefully it will be put off enough so it falls in July when it's released.

7. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    it looks good and i may get one

but i am of the opinion that an old game boy and nanoloop pwns this.

8bit is sooo rawr

8. haha thats very cool

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    What is this that you speak of as I have an Old Gameboy :p

10. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    nanoloop is a game you plug in and you can create songs using the 8bit chip in the gameboy

more info here: http://www.nanoloop.de/

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Coolness :D

12. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    WIN

EPIC WIN

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm that much prouder in owning my DS now. :D

14. Alex Isaiah

Alex Isaiah

May 2, 2007
    UK
    I've got a copy of Nanoloop 1.3 which I use as a musical sketchpad.
    This would be perfect for that and more.

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I'm so sold on this I can't explain. But I found there is quite a bit of music software for the ds.

Check this video

There is something else that one of the youtube comments mentions that is cool for ambiance I think.

not really sure what to get now because that 8 bit stuff with the original gameboy is very cool as well

16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Electroplankton is the game I'm thinking of for ambience might pick it up over the weekend.

17. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I bought a copy of DS-10 last Monday. If you already have a DS, don't even debate this $25-$40 cartridge- it's huge fun! The DS-10 is a recreation of the Korg MS-10 synth.

What it adds to the MS-10 is a 6 part (two pitches plus 4 drum parts per pattern (and yes, each drum is a customizable patch itself that has a pitch!)) 16 step sequencer (sequences can be activated 'pattern play' style or connected in a 100 step song arrangement), effects, a mixer, more, I'm sure, plus a Kaosspad X-Y interface. The X-Y has three parallel paired recordable sequences: note/gate, vol/pan, and user assignable x/y. In the note input mode of the Kaosspad, you can specify key and scale type.

This is not only a genuine musical instrument, but also a ton of laughs!

18. also check out Little Sound DJ

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    crap! i just got a DS and i keep forgetting to pick this up! off to ebay i go! :D

20. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Cool, Chronicle. I really think this is the most smiles per dollar I've enjoyed in a while.