Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nirvana - Son of a gun

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 4, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    One time I heard Nirvana play a song called "Son of a Gun" live. (I think thats what it was called. Is this a cover they were doing of another band? What band is it originally by?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well, it's on the album Incesticide, I know that much. After reading your post I whipped it out (the album) and checked the credits. "Son of a Gun" was written by Eugene Kelly and Frances McKee. I don't know if or what band they are from. All of the other songs on that album were written by Cobain/Novaselic or just Kurt, except for Turnaround, which was ALSO written by Kelly/McKee. I have no idea what band these people could be from, or if they were just ghost writers or friends of the band or whatever. All I know is that Nirvana didn't write those two songs.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Are those the guys from "Sponge". I seem to remember something, about Nirvana covering sponge, or sponge covering Nirvana or something.

4. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Those songs are from a British band called "The Vasolines" ( i think they were british). So is the song from their unpluged album "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam". Both bands were on the same label "Sub-Pop" initialy. You can find those songs and more on the cd "The way of the Vasolines".

5. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    BassMasterG, I think your thinking about the Meatpuppets. Nirvana covered a lot of their music (lake of fire, oh me, platuea), their a great band. I could be wrong though.