Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nirvana Tunings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    So, my band decided to cover "Scentless Apprentice" by Nirvana, my guitarist tunes down to C# for this song(his tuner pegs are in rough shape so all of our songs are tuned down a half step). I've read people saying that this song is in drop-D, others saying it isn't. It's not that big of a deal because it's Nirvana, but I'd like to know what the tuning is.

I don't have a copy of the song yet, so I can't listen to it for myself. Any help/advice would be helpful.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not sure if this helps, but I know Nirvana ventured into dropped D quite a bit on that album. And it is a bit low down, and I don't think they went below D.

Maybe your guitarist should get his guitar fixed (I'm in a similar situation... my guitarist is working with two broken guitars.) ;)

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It actually works alright for us and my bass can stay down-tuned from practice to practice without it getting all messed up. I would post one of our songs, however the recording quality is terrible, and my bass got unplugged halfway through (right in the middle of my 'solo' section!) so it's hardly professional to any degree.