Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NIRVANA UNPLUGED

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 22, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Posting that other thread made me think of this album so what do you guys think of it. In retrospect it is very chilling, i saw something about it when MTV did that week of Nirvana stuff when you know your right came out. Look at the set list, Death Depression Lonelyness is a recoring topic in these songs. But when i ever just need to think or rest that is a great album to listen to. Their really is something extra special about it. Does any one know any one who went to the historic concert. May the Lord have mercy on you Kurt RIP

2. great album. i don't care what anyone says- that was a cool version of man who sold the world.

3. yeah, it's pretty classic.

but c'mon, quit using all caps in your thread titles.

4. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Yeah...excellent album...I just don't like the fact that six songs were covers....great covers...but would have been nice to hear some more originals too...

5. MAJOR METAL

Why does caps bother you in a thread tittle just wondering:)

6. it's bad internet etiquette because it's shouting, and it needlessly draws attention to a topic that's not particularly important. it also draws attention to your spelling errors. :)

7. MAJOR METAL

Thank you i never learned these hidden meaning in spelling and things of this sort like the meaning of caps. I allways did it because it is some times hard to see lower case with out glasses. Thanks for the lesson:)

8. I have the Nirvana unplugged and its just about my favourite Nirvana album, because it is so different to all the others. I like all the covers personally, and I think Kurt did them because he thought his own songs would sound 'thin' unplugged.

9. or maybe he did covers because he was sick of playing teen spirit over and over.:rolleyes:
    [edit: the roll-eyes wasn't to you, it was towards how people always wanna hear the "hits".]
    [another edit: you made a good point though, i was just saying that off-handedly]

10. One great thing about Unplugged In New York is that it introduced the Meat Puppets to the mainstream public. Now one admittedly cannot hear "Plateau", "Oh Me" or "Lake Of Fire" (all from the mighty Meat Puppets II[i/] without thinking of Kurt now, which is not a bad thing at all.

11. wait, are you saying it's good that when people hear meat puppets they think of kurt? i'm sure the guys appreciated it, but i'm also sure they'd like to be recognized for themselves, not some guy who they sat in with once.

12. I think you misunderstood me here, bro. I only meant those three songs in particular.

13. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    Personally, I don't think the Nirvana's versions sound very much like the originals. The voice, I think, are what is so different.

Unplugged is a great album though, nice and relaxing.

14. oh, okay.:)

15. MAJOR METAL

any one find anything chilling about the concert in respect to Kurts death a few month later. From what i understand Kurt wanted the concert to have a Funeral feel to it.

16. Lol I wonder what an acoustic teen spirit would sound like ;) I agree with ya though, it gets a bit tiresome after a while.

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I do find many of Kurts lyrics chilling in retrospect - going back to In Utero...All Apologies freaked me out shortly after Kurts passing. I'd like to say that people are just projecting their thoughts onto his lyrics, but Kurt really did wrirte about his own life and thoughts and feelings - he just tried to mask this and make things ambiguous. Because things are written so cryptically and ambiguous people love to read things into Nirvana's story. I'm sure that Kurt wanting a funeral feel to the MTV unpluged show is an unban myth of some sort.
    short Nirvana urban myth tangent: There is a bridge near Kurts mom's (old) house in Aberdeen. This is where Kurt & friends would hang out and smoke pot and drink as teens. The spot became kind of a shrine to Kurt after his death. Sometimes Nirvana fans will come to Aberdeen on a kind of Nirvana pilgrimage and have fans have been spotted many times by locals going to the WRONG Wishkah bridge...they go to the one the bums hang out under by the B.K. instead of the one thats in the residental neighborhood...oh well, if they think they went to the right spot they probably get just as much from it.
    :rolleyes: