Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nirvana?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 25, 2006.

1. I love them

28 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. I like them

65 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. I like a couple songs...

44 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. I like that one song by them...

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Who?

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. I don't know who they are

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. They suck!

30 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Well, What do you think about these nice clean-cut young gentlemen?

Well let me explain the thing with nirvana and me... I was your typical 7th grade loser. Then BAM theres nirvana with some catchy tunes. Nevermind was god. Then BAM I started listening to In Utero. Wow distortion! Then I explored all the videos, other albulms and books about them. I got most of my ideals and values from them (I know that seems wierd) but They ended up changing my life dramatically. I don't listen to them as much but I still love them. Musically they have partially passed but the life changing factor is here to stay.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Never heard of 'em

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm not a fan. Bring back Nelson.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used to like them.

5. Oh whoops.. I guess the "who?" and the "never heard of them" are kinda redundant.. can you edit the poll?

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nirvana played some TV show in England, they forced Nirvana to play with a recording of the music, but keep a live mic. They went through rehearsal like good boys, but once it came time for the show... they did this:

Funniest video ever!

7. HAHA I have seen that before. That song makes me sad when I listen to it because Its the song people think of when they think of nirvana (most of the time) They have so many great songs that no one knows... Its sad...Its also sad that the people like that when they are obviously not playing...haha This gets runner up for funniest video

8. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I like them. So far in my life only 2 bands have changed music as I knew it. The first was Guns N Roses. The second was Nirvana. Nirvana got popular when I was in High School, shortly after I started playing bass. I had the cassette tape of Nevermind, and I wore it out listening to it.
    Anymore I don't listen to them that often. But I feel they made some really good music, and some that was not so great. I have to wonder what they would be like if they were still around.

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

Never liked them.... just plain dislike them, actually.

10. Im listening to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum while reading this I think Nils Frykdahl might eat Kurt Cobain

11. used to love them when i was in like 6th and 7th grade
    now i hate them and think they suck.
    still dont know how that band got so big.

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You must be younger than me: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, The Cure, Mother Love Bone.....
    They were OK, too bad Kurt Cobain decided to self medicate intstead of get some real help, And I don't own any guns n roses, although I do Velvet Revolver. Axl never did anything for me.
    I actually like the Foo Fighters better, but that's just me.

13. Bassis78

Bassis78

Dec 22, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Completely subjective...as for music, I think they opened up some avenues for kids. They weren't exceptionally talented, but they sure did write good songs that make me feel good when I hear some of them. I respect them for what they were about.

14. I liked them at the time. The only thing that turned me off about them was the God-like status everyone my age elevated them to after his death. I know guys that have like 10 "unreleased" albums, and practically pray to Cobain every night before bed.

This caused me to stop, take a breath, and evaluate what "I" personally thought about them.

Wonderful band, but I think they would eventually just become one of those bands that have a video or 2 every release, get a little play time on their older hits. People would complain that they play their new stuff at concerts and not enough of their old stuff. Everyone would know them but by now would be a smaller cult following.

The best thing they did was convince the average teenager he could become a rock star again. You didn't have to be super man to achieve the status.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

hopefully you didn't acquire a heroin addiction! :eek:

the radio station in west palm beach played "serve the servants" a few times; i thought that was very cool.

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, that's on the video "nirvana: live tonight sold out" (or something similarly titled).

awesome. i love the part when dave grohl pumps his drumsticks iin the air.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    In grade school I was all about them, but looking back I don't really know why I was going ape over them. They were a good band, don't get me wrong, but there are and were a lot better, in my opinion.

My only real beef with them is that they are at the top of every list for "Greatest Whatever Of All Time", and that Cobain is regularly included as one of the "guitar greats". I'm sorry, but I just can't swallow that pill.

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Love 'Em!!:bassist:

They were a tremendous band, with a tremendous story. I was blown away when I first heard Bleach...Then Nevermind hit and it was crazy. They went from this weird kinda punk dirty rock band to superstars. They blew up instantly, I've never seen anything like it in my short lifetime.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You needed another poll option for "Meh" as that would be my choice.

They were OK. They don't suck but they sure weren't gods like some make them out to be. :rollno:

20. Was a big fan in high school, and I still listen to the occasional tune now, but they don't do it for me anymore. Cobain was a great songwriter though, and for that I'll always admire them.