Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nirvana???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    oke i was readin the back of bleach yes the album not the cleaner. and OMG! Where's Dave Grohl the king?!?!! and since when was there 2 guitarists? or till when? :confused: :confused: :confused:

thanx for neone who can clear this up

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Dave Grohl wasn't an original member of Nirvana. The other guitarist left the band before Nevermind. Dave Grohl is on some tracks of Bleach I think. In some interview they said the guitarist was sacked because he had sex with Krist Nov's dad :eek:. It cracked me up when I read that, as it wasn't what the reporter was expecting.

(Ps. They were joking of course)

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
  4. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    yeah, the original drummers name was chad channing and i think the second guitarist actually isnt on any of the record. He was just in the band during some of the recordings but i dont think any of his stuff made it on the record. If im not mistaken, chad channing does come back and replace dave grohl for a few tracks on the In Utero album. I might be wrong though.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I never heard of that In Utero drummer switching. Where did you hear of it? Anyway, I don't see how that's true. If he was replaced, Channing might have played the remainder of there gigs, assuming he replaced Grohl.

I was laughing my ass off at the band's reason for kicking out the guitarist. Nirvana has to have had the best sense of humor (kinda ironic if you think about it). Kurt used to always lie in his interviews with corporate mags. All of his jokes are hilarious. "Our sound is like the knack and the bay city rollers being molested by black sabbath and black flag." My friend (who is a big Grohl fan, btw) recently got a Nirvana video that has clips of assorted performance and some video footage of the band recording their random acts of weirdness and hilarity throughout their Bleach and Nevermind tours. It's great!

6. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I think i read it in a book. He didnt replace him completly. just played drums on a few tracks while grohl was takning a break or something.

7. LOL! I love that signature man!

bassbrobrad, I agree, I cant watch a Nirvana interview with a straight face! Its so obvious that they dont care about the interview, they just sit there joking with each other and they come up with the funniest stuff!

8. the second guitarist was to help kurt with backups for live originaly, if you notice in preformances for the inutero tour (i'm not sure about the nevermind tour) there is a back up guitarist, you can see him best in the Rape Me video from SNL, where there is a guy playing backing guitar (is this or isnt it Pat Smear, i'm not sure). The original guitar player i believe went over to play for sound garden. I remember hearing that in some interview, (right before unplugged, where kurt said that the band had creative differnces, he wanted to go one way, and they wanted to go another, so he ended up leaving on good tearms. Also Chad Channing wasnt the only drummer on that cd, there was also another guy. Early on, nirvana had a lot of trouble finding a good drummer. Dave didnt even play drums but he showed up, because he said that drums was easy, and he got the job.

The note about how Chad Channing played on a few tracks for inutero, sounds so ridiculs. He doesnt show up on the credits, and it wouldnt make any sense that Dave got "tired" when doing tracks.

Also a side note about second guitar players, Pat Smear (sp?) was set to join the band, for recording and touring, but Kurt had commited suicide (or killed...) before they hit the studio, he shows up on mtv unplugged, but thats it. he also joined up with the begininning of foo fighters with Dave, but ended up quiting, i dont know the reason.

9. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    Channing played the cymbals on "Polly", and I'm pretty sure that's the only post-Bleach song he played on.

10. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Dave was a drummer in band before Nirvana, so he did know how to play drums. I can't remember the name of the band.... Scream or something like that.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I think the band's name was Drain Bramage.

Saw it on VH1: Before they were rock stars

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Taken from http://members.fortunecity.com/nirvana60/

# 1965:

Krist Novoselic is born. (May 10)

# 1967:

Kurt Donald Cobain is born near Aberdean, Washington an isolated coastel logging town. His parents are Donald Cobain, a mechanic at the local Chevron station, and his wife, Wendy O'Connor, a homemaker.

# 1969:

Dave Grohl is born. (January 14)

# 1975:

Kurt's parents get divorced when he is 8. He changes from a sunny outgoing child to a moody withdrawn one.

# 1976:

Unable to cope with Cobain's bad behaviour any longer his mother sends him to live with his father. Kurt doesn't get along any better there and is shuffled from relative to relative and scshool to school for the next two years.

# 1978:

Kurt discovers rock music, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin and Kiss and soon becomes a little stoner kid.

# 1980:

Kurt sees the B52's on 'Saturday Night Live' and gets into New Wave

# 1981:

Given choice between a new bicycle or an electric guitar and an amp for his 14th birthday, Kurt chooses the latter and immediatly begins to write really raunchy riff-rock.

# 1982:

Kurt reads about the Sex Pistols in back issue of "Creem" but doesn't yet listen to the actual music.

# 1984:

Kurt finally hears punk rock, and his live is transformed.

# 1985:

Kurt meets Krist. They play in several bands together, including Stiff Woodies.

# 1987:

Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and drummer Aaron Buckhard form a band to play Kurt's original songs. They go through several names including, Ted Ed, Fred, Pen Chap Chew, Windowpane and Skid Row, before settling on Nirvana. The band plays their first gig at a house party in rural Raymond, Washington. They are nearly beaten up because they don't play any covers and they drink all their hosts beer. Kurt Cobain moves from Aberdeen to Olympia, where he shares an appartment with his girlfriend Tracy Marander. A few months later, he begins to experience a mysterious burning pain in his stomach

# 1988:

Nirvana records a 10 song demo tape in six hours with the godfather of grunge legendary Seattle producer Jack Endino. Kurt Cobain pays the $. 152.44 for the session. Crover sits in on drums. Sub pop co-hono Jonathan Poneman hears the demo tape and offers to put out a Nirvana single. They accept. Burckhard is booted from Nirvana. His replacement Dave Foster, lasts a matter of months. Burckhard rejoins Nirvana and is quickly given the heave-ho again after he goes out on a beer run and manages to get Kurt Cobain's car impounded. Burkhard is replaced by Chad Channing, a drummer from affluent Bainbridge Island, across Puget Sound. A limited edition of 1000 copies of the Love Buzz / Big Cheese single is released via Sub Pop's single club. Kurt Cobain smashes his first guitar at a Halloween dorm party at Evergreen State University in Olympia.

# 1989:

In June Bleach is released on Sub Pop. Nirvana embarks on a month long U.S. Tour.

# 1990:

Us tour; at the end of the tour Channing leaves Nirvana. Nirvana opens for Sonic Youth on a west coast tour, Dale Crover sits on drums. Nirvana plays the Motor Sports International and Garage with Mudhoney's Dan Peters on drums. Peters get the boot a few days afterward. Dave Grohl of the freshly defunct Washington D.C. hardcore band Sream joins Nirvana. Nirvana tours briefly in England with L7.

# 1991:

After a fervid bidding war, Nirvana signs with Geffen DGC Records. Nirvana records their major-label debut, "Nevermind," with producer Butch Vig. They briefly tour the US. Opening for Dinosaur Jr. Nirvana opens for Sonic Youth on a European festival tour including a landmark performance at the Reading Festival. Nirvana kicks-off a six weeks US tour. "Nevermind" is released: 46 251 copies shipped across the US. Nevermind debuts on the billboard album chart on #144. Nevermind goes gold. The band begins a six week European tour as Nirvanamania sweeps the US MTV plays the Smells Like Teen Spirit video constantly and the song is hailed as the anthem for a generation. Nevermind goes platinum. Nirvana does a quick US tour with Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

# 1992:

Nevermind hits No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart. The same day Nirvana plays Saturday Night Live. Nirvana tours Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii. Nevermind goes to No. #1 again. Kurt Cobain and Hole Leader Courtney Love are Married in Hawaii. Nirvana tours Europe. Lynn Hirschberg reports in "Vanity Fair" that Courtney Love used heroin during her pregnancy. Frances Bean Cobain is born. Children's Services of Los Angles County immediatly revoks custody of the child a direct result of media attention to the "Vanity Fair". Incesticide a collection of B-sides and rarities is released. Nirvana appears on the cover of Rolling Stone.

# 1993:

April 9, Nirvana plays a concert at San Francisco's Cow Place to raise awareness of and generate aid for rape survivers in Bosnia-Herzegovina. L-7 The Breeders and Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy are also on the bill. In Utero is released. Nirvana starts a three month tour of North America. Nirvana tapes an all acoustic show for MTV Unplugged at Sony Studios in New York. Cris and Curt Kirkwood of the Meat Puppets sit in on three Meat Puppets Songs. MTV airs the unplugged show.

# 1994:

Nirvana plays the Seattle Arena. It will be the bands last U.S. show. Nirvana embarks on a tour of Europe. April 8, Kurt Cobain is found dead in a room above the garage of his Seattle home. Police reports indicate that Cobain died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound through the head on april 5 1994. He was 27. November 1, Nirvana's MTV Unplugged preformance is released as MTV Unplugged In New York. Two tracks not aired on the MTV broadcast appear on the album.

# 1996:

October 1, The Nirvana live album From The Muddy Banks Of The Wiskah is released, Featuring preformances from 1989 to 1994

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Music related, so this is off to MISCELLANEOUS

14. kevs

kevs

Feb 15, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Mark Everman was the second guitarist I believe. He wasn't on the actual CD, but he fronted the money to record the album thus his credits on the cover.

15. When there's no more room in hell, this thread shall walk the earth.

16. I recall it being something along these lines. The Pat Smear thing with Kurt not being able to play stuff live was totally different. By this time he was to burned out to play worth a screw. Gotta say though, Pat Smear has played in bands with two of the most influential frontmen in their respective genres and they both bit the bullet early. Moral of this story is don't hire him to fill in for your band.

17. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    Dale Crover is a better drummer anyway!
    Fire away...

18. I had not noticed. Super zombie! Grab the shotgun this one's had its run.