Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Mar 22, 2002.

1. I think Nirvana's lines are very cool to play. What do you think? Does anyone know whitch nationality Krist Novoselic is?
  2. I've always liked Novaselic's playing. Nothing fancy, but it held the song together while Cobain went off. As far as his nationality, I don't see where it makes any difference (unless he's a fellow Slovenian, and you're just expressing some national pride in your bass brother, that's cool).
  3. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the first bass line I ever learned how to play.

Like Dan said, nothing fancy, but it held the song together.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    It was the first thing i played when i auditioned for a band. Needless to say, they didnt call me back. And yes he held it together while Curt went off the planet. :D
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    surprisingly, "smells.." was not the first riff i learned. that honor goes to "smoke on the water" (the other tried and true beginner riff).

i hated nirvana when i started out playing bass/listening to rock music. but i eventually let my curiosity get the better of me and listened to "in utero" and "nevermind" (in that order, back to back) on a plane trip to seattle (i only thought it appropois). i became a big nirvana fan.

simple and powerful.
    (in fact, i started playing the guitar b/c of nirvana-i figured it would be more fun to play their songs on guitar than bass)
  6. Krist is Croatian, or at least his parents are.
  7. I started to play guitar from the same reason
  8. I was always curious to hear what pro bassists thought of him. I don't know what it is, maybe it's that his basslines were very high in the mix. Is that why they stand out? They ain't Flea or Marcus, but they are catchy. I mean, I can hear the line in "Lithium" and 'Smells' in my head now without listening to the song.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lounge Act, Love Buzz, Sliver, Dumb, and a whole bunch of other songs will demonstrate why Krist's lines are so catchy.

10. Krist's lines are very fun to play, and most of them were the first things I learnt when I started out; things like Teen Spirit, Come as you are, Love Buzz etc etc.

Very simple lines, but always fit the song. :bassist:
  11. I just saw a documentary on Nirvana on television - was Krist actually Gibson endorser?
  12. Yeah, that's also the first riff I played. But few people realize that the bass doesn't even play the riff in the song, and that the song is in G, not E.
  13. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Let's not forget that Kurt wrote the majority of Nirvana music, although the lines Krist came up with were quite clever. I agree the Blines do fit the songs, I've always enjoyed how the bass and guitar generally bounce off and revolve around eachother, making them some damn catchy tunes...

the live acoustic bass work on the unplugged album is pretty tight
  14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, a lot of his lines are pretty good.... sorta like Duff McKagan's with GNR.
  15. I started bass due to Duff McKagan and was quickly turned on to Krist/Chris' bass playing too. They half follow guitar while laying a solid foundation with their own ideas to the riffs :bassist:
    If you get the chance, hear some live Nirvana, the bass tone sounds like a truck starting up...very gutsy!
    No matter how deep my tastes/styles get, or many albums I got, I'll always go back to GnR & Nirvana :D
  16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    He's Croatian like me!
  17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have always loved Bleach. Great album. I really dig Krists' tone on the opening of Blew (the first song); very gritty, bassy, and lo-fi. Sweet!

What amp setup was he using in the studio? Anybody know?
  18. The cool thing about Krist is his bass always sounded LOUD.
  19. ~Psychedelic~

Nov 23, 2003
    That guy sucks,you call those bass lines?When did kutrt ever go off? do you mean playing lead?Oh yeah thats the guy who threw his bass in the air and it came down right on his head:p....what a ass:rolleyes:
  20. i dig his lines, i think he didnt spend too much time on them, but he just had some talent writing catchy stuff.

i heard on triple j he has quit the music business for good and is followin arnie by going for vice governor of some place! cant imagine that, esp after seeing that clip where he tries to catch his bass and it knocks him out...:D