1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nissan Xterra or Toyota FJ Cruiser ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Nissan Xterra

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Toyota FJ Cruiser

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    As of yesterday I'm in the market for a new ride. I'm going new, big and I'm going to lease. I was checking out the new Nissan Xterras last night and I love them. I could be totally content with one of these. It has everything I want in a vehicle. With a great reputation for quality and reliability.

However, the new Toyota FJ Cruiser hit the streets yesterday and looks really nice. I'm really tempted to get one of these. It has all the features of the Xterra plus a few more. Coolnes factor of being one of the 1st few on the road is a nice bonus too.

So, given the choices what would you get? Please, no SUV bashing...my mind is made up.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well...

the Xterra is a proven stable model. Lots of years of improving it. I've looked at them a few times myself....

BUT....

that Toyota is HOT! I always dreamed of treking across the plains like the old Mutual of Omaha shows from the 70s with the big Toyota Safari trucks... they look to have captured that in a modern package.

I might need to got browsing the Toyota shop :ninja:

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Car and Driver just did a comparison in which other vehicles were involved. The Xtera not only beat the FJ, it also beat the Jeep Grand Cherokee, And the Hummer H3. The emphasis in this comparison was off road but they still wanted to be sure the vehicles had decent "on-road" performance. The FJ was very good "off road" but getting to the off road destination was a far different issue. The Xtera still does a lot of "cool stuff", including the ability to hose it out when your done. The FJ has a great retro look, but two huge problems. It has an almost totally flat windshield that destroys the Gas millage and increases road noise tremendously. It also has terrible visibility in almost every direction, but backing up at almost any angle requires a spotter! Those cool solid panels above the rear quarter panel should have been "see through". As it is they create massive blind spots, and a flat windshield does nothing for front visibility too.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I would have considered the FJ as a next car if it wasn't a 2 door.

As it is I'll probably go with another Xterra. I've driven mine for almost 6 years now and I love it...even being a first year model! The new models are SWEET. They have a more refined ride and build and the Off-Road version is unstoppable. Scan through this: http://members.ispwest.com/oldtrailmaster/xterra.htm

bc

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Another consideration is that you might not be able to get an FJ for a while if they're really popular.

bc

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    + 1 on the Toyota. I will be getting out of my Ford Escape this year and planned to go smaller and more economical. I saw one of the Toyota's last night for the first time and thought "What the heck is that?" Very cool. If the Honda Element came with a V6 I might have a tougher decision.

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool, thanks guys.

I'm really leaning towards the new Xterra. They've come a long way and the quality for the $ is hard to beat.

I'm gonna test drive both this Sunday and see. That solid panel on the back of the FJ concerned me a little too. Not positive, but I thought the FJ had suicude doors similar to the Element. I originally wanted an Element, but I like the Xtrerras better. My Finacee is probably going to get an Element for her next car. Hopefully she does, then we'll have the best of both worlds.

This is the color I'd get, cool link BTW. Thanks Brad.:
    [​IMG]

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm also in the market for a vehicle like this. I think the Honda Element is edging out the others. XTerra - I was told is not available with a manual transmission, the FJ is going to carry a premium from dealers and be tough to get configured just the way I want it for some time. The Element is cheaper, more practical for someone not looking to do off-roading, available with a 5 speed, gets a bit better mileage, etc...

The FJ is hella cool looking, though. :hyper:

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Actually it's available with a very popular 6-spd transmission.

bc

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have an Xterra and would love an 06' model, but I am just happy with my model....

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's what I get for listening to a used car salesman... :meh:

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, never listen to them.... it's just like listening to a music store salesperson. :meh:

I'm sure we can all agree on:

"When the Qintar talks, everyone listens.." (EF Hutton commercial) :D

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What year is yours again? '03?

bc

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    03' with only 20,000 miles on it. :spit:

:D

15. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    What year is yours?

16. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Recently being in the same position and having driven and inspected the Xterra, Fj and Element...
    1st, I am a HUGE Element fan. The Fj is cool, but the back seat room is extremely tight, visibility is poor and markup right now is insane. Xterra would be my 2nd choice, but, once you drive a MT Element, it's all over.

YMMV.

www.elementownersclub.com

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I dont really like the windows position on FJ, if used for off-roading it has to suck because of limited visability... Plus rear doors are weird. other then that FJ looks cool. I'd choose Xterra as of now, but i still have to drive FJ to make up my mind on that. Plus xterra is more powerful and Turning Diameter is better on Xterra as well.

DigMe, how are those things off-road anyway, you never anwsered that... any problems?

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

I don't see a conclusion though...

Never mind, conclusion is in the middle of the article... hehe

I really want to do that trail now.

PS:
    "even though this is the shortest SUV in the group, a six-footer could stretch out and sleep in the back."

Hell yeah, thats all i needed to hear! for myself next SUV is xterra! Too bad this jeep will last for long time...

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

bc