1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nitro aging on the necks

Discussion in 'Sadowsky Basses' started by Fran Diaz, May 6, 2010.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I posted this pic in one of the old threads but here it is again for those that might be interested in seeing how the nitro on the necks ages with time and light exposure.

Take into account that my basses are usually hanging on their stands or in my hands.

attachment.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Awesome shot, Fran. Did they all start out w the vintage tint option or not?

Rob

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    yes, all of them had the vintage tint option.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

It's funny, last year I noticed the rich honey hue on the neck of my 2005 P5 and thought "I don't believe I ordered the vintage tint option", but quickly realized that the nitro was changing all by itself.

Even so, I got vintage tint on the P5 I ordered in early February. The darker the better IMO!
    :bassist:

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

For sure, Fuzz. Kevin talked me into it on my Will Lee. Goes great with the tiger eye burst and birds eye board!!

Rob

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    A big +1. I can't wait until my PJ4's neck gets that sweet ambery dark hue. My J4's neck is half way through.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I love that aged look! My '88 has a sweet tint to it!

headstock_sadowsky.

8. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I think it's time for me to take a stand. I fully understand why all you guys are drawn to the vintage tint appearance on your bass necks. "Patina" looks very cool ! Now- I've ordered my bass w/ a "no tint" finish & here's why. The "raw maple" appearance fits so well w/ the raw rosewood appearance of the fretboard & the contrast that it has w/ the high gloss finish of the '59 burst is exquisite. IMO, I feel vintage tint works well w/ anything of an ultra vintage flavour. I went w/ a 21 fret bd. to AVOID having my bass looking too much like a Fender. If I wanted a P-Bass that looked ultra vintage I would also have gone w/ chrome knobs. But I am proud to be getting a bass that looks undeniably SADOWSKY ! (w/ a freshly surfaced look to the maple neck) [​IMG]
    I DO look forward to the natural development of patina along w/ a slow progression of lustre buildup on the neck & bd. from play & cleaning.