Nitro Finish and Flight case Foam?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MrArose13, Sep 20, 2016.

1. MrArose13

MrArose13 Commercial User

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud Basses & Guitars LLC
    The simple question is... dose anyone know of any ill effects of (ELE foam) the thick gray flight/road case foam, or (ETHA foam) the ridged, more black colored flight/road case foam on nitrocellulose lacquer?

For the past few years I've had to start building cases for my instruments, so I went the road case route. My current client will be getting a nitro finish, and being aware of the burn in effect of some materials on a nitro finish... I'm a bit concerned. I've searched, and asked my suppliers..., but I cant seem to find the answer. So I purpose the question to the collective, someone must know.

Old pic, but a good example. 20160802_190211.jpg Thanks Guys & Gals !

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would put an non breathable material, like plastic, between the foam and whatever nitro save material you line case with just to be on the safe side.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I don't know for certain if it would damage the finish but I hear bad things about foam. I wouldn't risk it if it was my bass. I always pack my nitro basses with packing paper since it is definitely nitro safe.

4. MrArose13

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, I don't typically use nitro... so, (like a lot of road cases) I just cut the foam, drop the instrument in and it's done. I'm aware of the sensitivity of nitro so I'm a bit concerned, but I haven't heard any horror story's, (like you hear about guitar stands) and so far, I cant get a definitive answer. The foam suppliers talk about it being oil resistant and safe for all plastics, (because plastics off gas, some more than others) ideal for packing guns, cameras, and sensitive equipment... but that's the best info I've got so far. I suppose I can wrap it in fur to be safe, but... (blame it on O.C.D issues) I still want/need to know and it's driving me bonkers... :wacky:

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Why not get samples of the foam you're concerned with and conduct your own research?

6. MrArose13

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    What's up sissy? Thanks for taking part in this.

Well.... I am :thumbsup:. So far... nothing :thumbsdown:, (its been about 4 months). The worry is that this is something that would happen over time, maybe a year or two down the road. If I can be sure it's not a problem now, the cases are done and I'm in the spray both in 2 weeks. If its a problem, that's more time and money. not to mention later when my unhappy costumer comes back for a free refinish. I'd rather deal with it now, so... if I don't ask, I'm bound to find out the hard way.

You know, It's all about the 4 most important things: Costumer satisfaction, Time, Money and the simple knowledge of such things (not necessarily in that order) ;) :D.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would bet its fine then. The only reaction I had between nitro and a stand happened pretty quickly. The out gassing of the foam on a guitar hanger ruined a nitro finish in a matter of days.

DiabolusInMusic and sissy kathy like this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    What about building a plug, lining an empty case with some kind of nice liner fabric with a vapor barrier, then shoot it full of expanding urethane foam? I've built some oddball fitted gun cases that way and it made for a nice snug fit for the piece it was intended for.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021