1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nitro Finished production basses, who makes them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I was wondering who makes nitro finished basses. I am looking for a sunburst P in nitro. I know i can DIY with reranch, but i am not confident in spraying a good sunburst. Solid i could probly handle but not the burst.

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

BILL NASH

3. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  5. I'm pretty sure the upgraded Highway one Fender's are nitro finished?
    Dan

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Bacchus in Japan does on some of there stuff.

Fender Custom Shop will do it.

Gibson.

I'm pretty sure Wilkinson does nitro refinish jobs.

7. Yeah, but it's no good if the nitro doesn't stay on the bass :p :bag:

8. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

A quote I recently received regarding nitro and poly finishes.....

Well, poly is very easy to use. As you said it totally seals up the wood, but this is what the MFGs want as it enables them to get a perfect mirror-like finish with the minimum of labor. Additionally, nitrocellulose is extremely flammable and is very regulated, in fact you cannot shoot it in California and a few other states. The self leveling catalyzed polyester finishes were developed for the automotive industry and work wonders as they go on easy, dry very fast and hard, can be buffed like crazy and do not age or chip. Great for cars - terrible for musical instruments.

9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven

Isn't that the idea?

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Whats up with their finishes. They wear real fast or what? I am looking for a bass that will have some mojo on it down the line. I like the idea of a relic look, but i am not gona buy one that i didnt wear in.

11. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Wilkins? He's in California so not likely, also his site doesn't seem to offer it. He does the Sadowsky bodies and Sadowsky does nitro necks, maybe that's what you were thinking?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've come around to poly finishes. Look at all the basses sprayed in nitro. Unless you keep it in its case for 50 years, they're always chipping and checking. Meanwhile, poly finishes still look pretty good after 30 years. And other than possibly hollowbodies, I don't see where the finish has any impact on sound. I used to prefer nitro, but I've come around to poly finishes lately.

13. I actually find that nitro finished basses get better with time. Poly finishes start looking kind of cheap with time, while Nitro has something that makes them age better. I don't know, that's just IMHO.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have instruments with both. I think people love to play into mythology and voodoo.

Yes nitro wears faster and you have to be more careful with it. But poly doesn't have to be a thick coat and it doesn't have to 'deaden' the sound of an instrument. It lasts longer and looks better in the long run.

15. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    fwiw, nitro is easier to touch up than poly.

16. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Hwy series will do that. for sure , without a doubt

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0111360300

17. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The Fender CS Time Machine basses all have thinnish nitro finishes. I just like the way they look and age, can't hear a difference in tone.

The AV reissues age nicely and the finish is pretty tough for nitro, I guess from the poly undercoat.

The Highway One finishes wear way too quickly for my liking, though.

18. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Can't say for sure where I read this,probably one of the relic threads, but I do know that new nitro finishes contain an anti-checking agent, so they won't quite age like the originals.

Besides, all the bars around here send the smokers outside, so even if that weren't the case, you'd have a tough time getting that look even after a few decades.

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Gibson always has, but Epi's are poly.

20. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Japanese Fender model PB62-105 DMC has nitro finish.