nitro lacquer dinging easily

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JLW, Apr 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    I did my first ever bass build with nitro lacquer about a week ago. One thing I'm noticing is that it dings really, really easily. Like, I dropped a screw on it from maybe a foot away and it created a dent in the surface. Another time I accidentally *lightly* hit it against the edge of the table and it dinged again. Keep in mind, if I had done the same thing with any of my other production basses (Fenders and Musicmans with poly finishes) there would not even be the slightest hint of a scratch. It's kind of insane.

I'm wondering if I somehow applied the finish wrong or something? Maybe I did too much sanding sealer? I did about 4 or 5 coats of sanding sealer. Or maybe it's just not done hardening? I sprayed it about two weeks ago.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Probably isn't fully cured. Hang it up for a while

Tbone76, MobileHolmes and bassbully like this.
  3. Yea it isn't ready with only two weeks. I sprayed a lacquer neck and let it hand for 6weeks before I started gigging it. You might look up reranch and see if they give any recommendations. I'd say a month would be ok though. Lacquer is quite the different animal. Nothing like the polys of today. They will gas for years, ever changing.

MobileHolmes and rmars like this.
  4. FenderMIA

FenderMIA

Oct 15, 2012
  5. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    +1

It's been a few years since I painted a body with nitro but depending on temp/humidity it can take quite a long time for the paint to cure. I have done metallic finishes with a lot of clear coat that took a few months before the were ready to be sanded and buffed. IME it will nitro never be as tough as poly but they are fun projects.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  6. The New American Vintage Series dings very fast, faster than the old series ('62 Jazz and 57/62 Precision). It is sold as a feature, not a bug. Some buyers complained that if you remove the pre-intalled "ashtray" you see traces in the finish.

7. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, thanks guys. I'll leave it alone for a bit.

8. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    If you have any other questions check our Reranch or their forum as JGbassman said. Ridiculous amount of info on finishing over there.

JGbassman likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021