1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nitro Lacquer in Canada

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by awilkie84, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Hi,

I'm still working on my P-Bass refinishing project & I want to use a Nitro lacquer. Where can I purchase this in Canada?

Google searches give me threads with similar topics, but nothing definitive as to where to get suitable colours for a guitar in Nitro.

I'm specifically looking for Lake Placid Blue in Nitro, so it will wear with playing & age.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe nitro is no longer legal... isn't it one of the paints they outlawed along with oil based paints?

3. I've read up on the legality, and it IS still legal. I just can't find a place to buy it.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Oops, missed this thread. Richelieu sells it, but I don't think you can get it on the island. I think the closest Richelieu to you is over in Vancouver, I think they have a few stores in greater van. http://www.richelieu.com They only carry Mohawk brand though.

I gotta say though, as a fellow dope-smokin hippy from the island, aren't you worried about poisoning the environment with nitrocellulose, man?

:D

5. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    If all else fails, come to America and smuggle some nitro lacquer in. Can't be that hard for a Canadian to do.

I hear about little things like this and it makes me glad I'm American.

6. I buy Mohawk Classic Instrument Lacquer from Exotic Woods in Burlington Ontario. I am not sure if there would be a dealer in BC.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Dude, we can buy it all across Canada, its just not that commonly used and therefore not commonly stocked. Nanaimo's a good sized city and with some digging, there's probably a local seller, but in a pinch, he can hop the ferry and pick up some in Vancouver.

It's no more difficult to find and access than it would be for someone living in a small town in the midwest, no need to make this thread political...

8. Haha...Dope-smokin', yes...but I ain't from Gabriola. ;) No hippy, here.

The main reason I want nitro is so that it wears over time. If I had to wait for a modern poly coat to wear, I'd be 80 before it had its first rash. lol

9. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

May 11, 2012
    Check out Stewart/ McDonald.

10. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

May 11, 2012
    You'll get better tone with Nitrocellulose also. Spray it as thin as Possible.

11. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    The trouble with this forum is that people who don't know what they are talking about will come on and post messages and there don't seem to be any moderators about to keep them in line.

Stewmac won't send nitro outside the USA.

Rubbish.

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes ...

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I feel your pain.

13. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

May 11, 2012
    Hey I'm sorry so I guess ReRanch won't either. Hey Dave life's too short kid. I was only trying to help. Sorry for my rant. Happy Easter.

14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Those are nice platitudes Ewoe21, but Dave's got a valid point. At least read the thread before posting...

15. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

May 11, 2012
    Thanks BeeJ. Happy Easter

16. Ewoe21

Ewoe21

May 11, 2012
    Teg's Tools
    and Machinery

The right tool
    The right price
    The right place

www.TegsTools.com Stockroom Supply
    Abrassives, Sanding Mop, V-Drum Sander,
    Little Ripper and more! LOCAL and EXOTIC LUMBER
    Huge inventory
    SEE WEBSITE FOR DETAILS!
    WoodShedLumber.com

Register Help

Remember Me?
    Forum
    FAQ/RulesCalendarForum Actions Quick Links
    Blogs
    What's New?
    Facebook
    Gallery

Advanced Search
    ForumWOODWORKINGWoodworking Nitrocellulose lacquer
    If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Reply to this thread Results 1 to 9 of 9
    Thread: Nitrocellulose lacquer
    Display
    05-28-2012 03:19 AM #1 Dave Craig
    Nitrocellulose lacquer
    Nice to meet you all !
    I am a luthier and live in Northern Ont. I am looking for a new supplier for nitrocellulose lacquer. I have used Behlens in the past but finding it now is a chore and the instrument lacquer has been discontinued. I tried several places in Thunder Bay but all seem to try to steer me towards water based and it just does not cut the mustard! I have tried 2 and neither were for me. I will be travelling to Toronto next month and any help would be appreciated. Also , I would like to talk to any other luthiers if you are out there ! I have built both acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins, a dulcimer (hammered) and am going to try a harp next winter.
    05-28-2012 05:55 AM #2 Bryan @ Woodstock
    View photos by Bryan @ Woodstock
    Re: Nitrocellulose lacquer
    I know a luthier, he uses ML Campbell's Magnalac
    http://www.mlcampbell.com/products/c...lyzed/magnalac

Hobby WW since 1972
    05-28-2012 09:40 AM #3 Don Kondra
    View photos by Don Kondra
    Welcome Dave !

Small "world", I was born in Sioux Lookout many moons ago

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker

Product Photography

Moderator of The Board Room Woodworking Forum
    05-28-2012 10:29 AM #4 Wally in Calgary
    View photos by Wally in Calgary
    Originally Posted by Dave Craig
    Nice to meet you all !
    I am a luthier and live in Northern Ont. I am looking for a new supplier for nitrocellulose lacquer. I have used Behlens in the past but finding it now is a chore and the instrument lacquer has been discontinued. I tried several places in Thunder Bay but all seem to try to steer me towards water based and it just does not cut the mustard! I have tried 2 and neither were for me. I will be travelling to Toronto next month and any help would be appreciated. Also , I would like to talk to any other luthiers if you are out there ! I have built both acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins, a dulcimer (hammered) and am going to try a harp next winter.
    You might want to call here as they ship to your area -- http://www.woodessence.com/Target-Coatings-C14.aspx . They can also help you with what is the best finish to use.

05-28-2012 11:29 AM #5 Brian @ Muir
    If you are looking for ML Campbell dealers these people will ship to Northern Ont as long as your postal code begins with a N, L or M. They also stock the ML Campbell water based products.

WES
    Delhi. 519 582-2621

I buy my Magna max and other lacquer products from them. Excellent service.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"
    05-28-2012 02:07 PM #6 Wally in Calgary
    View photos by Wally in Calgary
    Originally Posted by Brian @ Muir
    If you are looking for ML Campbell dealers these people will ship to Northern Ont as long as your postal code begins with a N, L or M. They also stock the ML Campbell water based products.

WES
    Delhi. 519 582-2621

I buy my Magna max and other lacquer products from them. Excellent service.

Brian
    Their PC starts with P. FYI.

05-28-2012 11:27 PM #7 jason_31
    Real Name
    jason jarrold
    i was re-finishing a guitar for the bass player in my band and i was able to find a company here in windsor called macdonald & white, and they sell a nitro lacquer. I guess the reason they can sell it is because they have found some way to make it yet still be able to sell it over here in Canada. It's not waterbassed, for sure a nitro lacquer and it sprayed well and looked great...hope that helps? i know it's the opposite way of the toronto area.
    05-28-2012 11:52 PM #8 master finishing
    NC lacquer is still available in canada but short of musical instruments its really not used much any more but for this application its tough to beat. Anyone servicing the wood finishing market should be able to get NC lacquer, the challenge maybe the quantities. Suppliers often need to take min orders which can be multiple 5 gallon pails. If you check Goudeys website goudeymfg.com it will list all their distributors who can get NC is gallons.
    Mark
    www.masterfinishing.ca
    05-29-2012 08:25 PM #9 Dave Craig
    I thank you all for the info. Don the Kondra I beleive the name still exists here ! I haven't heard of Magnalac but will research. Just to let you fella's know, finishing an electric and an acoustic are two highly different things. An electric usually gets blasted to make it shine but acousticts require as thin a coat as possible to let the sound emerge. Wood essence was an alternative, others in the feild have pointed me there before for the Target brand, I was hoping to make a connection closer to home and still holding out for Behlens I guess. I will give Mark a call at Master Finishing and talk. I get home this FRiday. Actually I have been told in the meantime that the Mohawk NC is actually Behlens ! McDairmids Lumber will order !
    Reply to this thread
    Quick Navigation Woodworking Top
    ForumWOODWORKINGWoodworking Nitrocellulose lacquer
    « Golf Ball | Source for veneer or veneered boards over 10' long »