1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nitrobass, deltabass or max450?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Gonna pickup one of these bad mamajamas this weekend, any suggestions on which one would be best? All are priced about the same.

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The Nitro and Max 450 are identical, except for some cosmetic differences, even the knobs are in the same place. The max will be slightly newer.

The Delta is only 160 watts, I think, so you'd be much better off with one of the others. Still, plan on running at at least 4Ω, not 8, and don't even think about cranking the contour knob in a band situation.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I found a Nitrobass (450 watts 2 ohm) at a local pawn shop for 69 bucks. It is the same as the Max450.

4. Since the delta is low powered, its out. So the max is the newer model?

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Nitrobass is a damned good, oldschool boat anchor of a bass amp! Used one as a (loud) practise amp for a couple of years. I currently run a Tour 700; I prefer the tone to that of the Carvin BX1500 I just sold, though I admit I miss the massive headroom...

6. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    Actually there were some changes from the Nitro/Firebass line to the Max series, but I don't remember what they were - a Peavey guy listed them for me once - but the effect on tone was minimal. I've played the Nitro, Firebass, and Delta, as well as the Max 450 and Max 700 - which I now own. The tone across all these were very similar thru 4 ohm Eden XLT410 and 4 ohm Avatar B212 cabs. I have no problem cutting thru any mix and I can easily pull a clean, modern hi-fi tone out of any of them, or up the pre gain and roll the high end back for smooth punch, or hit them with a Bad Monkey for old school grind. I actually like the Max/Firebass tone, and I love the bulletrpoof reliability.

That said, I have read a couple of places where a Delta or Nitro user was disapointed with the volume level because they were running it with a single 8 ohm cab. So they were only getting about 100/160 watts. That's not much in a band with two guitarists. So just be aware of your cab selections and ohms. I have gigged with a Nitrobass into a 4 ohm Eden XLT for roughly 300 watts and it was PLENTY loud. No need to run it at 2 ohms with a second cab, even though it will run fine all day at 2 ohms and was loud as hell while doing it. The Nitrobass head pushing 450 watts thru the Eden 410 and Avatar B212 was probably heard in the next county when cranked. It was stoopid loud.

7. I run a Tmax head now with two 4 ohm 2x10 cabs running at 2 ohms. One 2x10 should do nicely with the max 450 at home then.

8. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    I would normally say go with the newer model, just because you're more apt to get more use out of it, but as they're both peaveys it really doesn't matter. When the world ends, all that will be left are cockroaches, JimmyM and 1980s Peavey bass amps.

9. hahahahahahaha

10. Thats only because JimmyM has been building a fall out shelter out of those old Peaveys... :p