Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nitrocellulose?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassGreaser, Jan 9, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at maybe refinishing my FBB 5er witha clear gloss nitrocellulose finish I've been looking at http://www.reranch.com/. My question is how hard is it to do a finish job for the first time? I'm looking for a really pro job. I'd be willing to pay someone to do it for me! (hint, hint)

2. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    As long as you don't rush each step, and properly sand in between each coat, it's fairly each to get a good, professional result...

With the proper materials and instructions, while time-consuming, the process is simple. Also, you'll need a place to spray that will be away from dust and...cat hair. ;)

www.stewmac.com has some good materials as well, and their nitro aerosol cans are top notch. The price is right too.

3. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Did you do the refinish? I used nitro on the bass I built this summer, and I found that the nicest thing about it was the coats dried to the touch fast and mated up well with the previous coat. I didnt listen to the directions (spray coats 30min max between, or wait 5 days to dry) I was impatient so I did all that I could durring the day at work, and then came in the next day and resumed with a little wet sanding between days. I didnt get any hazing, but the finish is kinda spongy. Next time I will use urathane, it seems to dry harder and gets thicker faster.

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I'm currently doing a nitro finish on one of my basses and I am very pleased with the results thus far. 3-4 coats per day, one coat every 3 hours, wet sanding with 1000 soaked in mineral spirits overnight. By the time I'm done, I'll be somewhere near 15-20 coats and then I'll let it cure for a week before I do the final polishing. Then I'll wait another week before reassembly.

5. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Nitrocellulose cures to a very hard coating OVER TIME. Nitro is not the finish to apply when you are impatient or short on time.

Most luthiers insist on waiting a few weeks after the final coat before polishing, many wait a month for the nitro to cure properly.

6. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    yeah, I didnt realize untill I got the stuff from guitar reranch...I did use spray bombs and it was pretty humid that week. I heard humidity is not good for nitro either. I may end up sanding it off and redoing it. Is there any other quick curing types that are compatible with Nitrocellulose?

7. BTBbassist

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Just take your time with it and it will come out great.

Stewart Macdonald (www.stewmac.com) has nitro in a can that I've used with great success. Just let each coat cure however long it recommends on the can, wetsand with 1000 grit, wipe with tackcloth, and re-spray. (Repeat 1000 times :D )

Don't rush!

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    does anyone know were I can get my bass refinshed with Nitrocellulose? I'm willing to pay for shipping and all the work!!!