1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Nixdad w/The Fab 8, The Shoppes at Chino Hills, 11/11/17

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Nov 12, 2017.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Everyone -

Last night was the final gig of the year for The Fab 8.

We performed at The Shoppes at Chino Hills for the first time. Chino Hills is a nice community, about 35 miles west of L.A., north of Orange County, and south of the Pomona valley. The Shoppes are located between a number of So Cal freeways:
    LineMap_zpsm7xeobrj.gif

AAT-Advanced-Aquatic-Tech-Water-Feature-The-Shoppes-at-Chino-Hills-7-Portfolio-Cover_zpsbw6aaqng.jpg

This was our first time performing here. The Shoppes host a series of concerts which start in the spring, and I believe run to December. The concerts are free for the public, and the location draws big crowds during the summer:
    9359902160_d7f30e4187_zpsgshsaldi.jpg

We actually landed this gig in the middle of summer through a Facebook post, so by the time arrangements were made, the November 11th was the only date available. We were happy to have the opportunity, albeit late in the year. This was only our 5th gig this year, so we were just itchin' to get out and play.

Downbeat was 5 pm, and we were scheduled to play until 8 pm. It was a nice, sunny day, and temps were in the low 70's when we arrived to set up (much cooler than the 90's temps we had just a few weeks ago for our Claremont gig.) I arrived at 2:30 pm and had rock star parking (Emergency Vehicles Only,) so the haul to the perfectly sized 24' x 12' stage was a breeze. Hai was in full form early on:
    IMG_2227_zps9lscf9em.jpg

A large fountain is located just in front of the stage, and you can see the Christmas tree is all set to go in the background.
    IMG_2226_zpsa8wsbcqv.jpg
    Even though the temperature had dropped to the high 60's by the time we started to play, they didn't turn off the fountain until 4:45 pm. As you can see by the photo above, the fountain area is where people sit, so it was a bummer that they turned it off so late in the day.

There was a nice sunset to the west:
    273718a8-828c-4f0f-afe0-3d3b958444f6_zpsymr0udqe.jpg

Martie, about 20 minutes until downbeat:
    IMG_2231_zps7vct13ov.jpg

Back to the 1989 Sgt. Pepper's towel to adorn Matt's keyboards:
    IMG_2229_zpsedipycxi.jpg

It turned out to truly be a special night in it's own way, as besides my Dad and his wife and a few high school friends who attended, McG himself made the drive north from Costa Mesa to see the group for the first time:
    IMG_2232_zpszj9urr5v.jpg

Not only was Grant in attendance, Gary (holdsg) and the famous BassCliff also made the trek. I was really blown away to have so many notable TBer's attend our show. The camaraderie was fantastic, and we did have a few minutes to talk shop in between sets. Several photos were taken, so I'm sure some will be posted.

Just prior to start:
    IMG_2235_zps8hgtyvh7.jpg

Doug & Dale:
    IMG_2234_zpsv5fn5na8.jpg

It was a fun evening, but it was chilly, which no doubt explained the smallish audience and a few rocky performance moments (lots of cold fingers!) It's a bit too early for Christmas shopping (the Christmas tree was unlit as well,) so we did not benefit from hordes of Holiday shoppers, but we had several moments where I could hear the appreciation of the crowd, which was nice.

This is my only shot of the evening during our performance. In the middle of the screen at the base of the palm tree are Grant, Gary and Cliff, all huddled together.
    IMG_2236_zpsotwm8vd4.jpg
    c10b76b9-6357-4ce8-9772-6aa2e062f733_zpsdlq3taar.jpg

We ended the night appropriately with the tune "With a Little Help from My Friends." I love every chance I get to play with my buddies, but having so many TalkBass friends in the audience made things extra special.

All for now,
    Nixdad

2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hey Chris! You are right. It was a special evening.

Happily I finally had the pleasure of attending a Fab 8 show. I'll say right up front that they simply nail Beatles songs with some of the best vocals I have heard in ANY band. The acoustic guitar, keyboard, percussion and subtle sound effect work were stellar. Not to mention the truly outstanding bass playing of our very own Mr. Nixdad. It was impressive that all this great singing and playing was done on a very chilly outdoor stage. You Eastcoasters will laugh at us So Cal boys freezing in upper 50s weather but for us thin-blooded types it was cold! We've all played gigs where you can't feel your fingers and this sure was one of them. But you couldn't tell by the quality of play. The boys soldiered through flawlessly.

As Chris said, the evening attracted a gaggle of Bassmigos. :D
    Fab 8 bassist extraordinaire Chris (@nixdad ) on the left, Cliff (@BassCliff), me (proudly wearing my Fab 8 shirt) and Gary (@Holdsg) on the right.
    4 Bassmigos.jpg

Here are a few photos of the Fab 8 in action.

They started just after sundown. Not too chilly yet.
    Fab 8 - 1.jpg

The stage right view.
    Fab 8 - 2.jpg

And the stage left view.
    Fab 8 - 3.jpg

It was a great evening with an enthusiastic crowd. A splendid time was had by all :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Amazing singing, playing, harmonizing, with five voices. Made for a memorable evening.

nixdad, BassCliff, dbase and 3 others like this.
  4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Nice report, nixdad!! As far as the cooler temps...HEY!! It's freakin' NOVEMBER over here!!! That means 26 degrees this morning in Philly! Glad you West Coast types get at east a taste of it every now and then. (But I still really wish I could just once hear the Fab 8 in concert!!)

nixdad, BassCliff, dbase and 5 others like this.
  5. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Awesome, just awesome in so many ways. Thank you Chris. Maybe you guys could snag a couple of gigs here in AZ in the future.

Me too. If you are ever out that way let me know, I can call in sick for a day or two.

Mark

nixdad, BassCliff and McG like this.
  6. Looks like a great gig @nixdad. You guys still at 7 members?...any plans to get back to 8?

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  7. Cool gig, very cool to see the Bassamigos supporting your efforts!

8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You and me both plus the KRB... I'm saving my pennies for the trip. ;)

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

Yes, the lads in the Fab 8 are brilliant! Sure, you've seen the videos posted here but to hear them do the material live is truly impressive. I was glad to be able to join @Holdsg and @McG to witness another epically enjoyable performance. I took a few pictures but they are much like the ones already posted. But here's a few.

A couple of shots of the lads at work.

-oXO-4hGhW9kXlSN_ep4x4tFXS-igIb8wF6El1RyyGuNHzyVrxGSobv8MAT8IqIFoRNsBwpbrEfFIA2dTE8=w842-h631-no.jpg

3l1Ut-wc5TeBZ-VujUF_CpfgjLJ-rMJMWVM8WK4PtYkmIUXyG9mDydB_IvGpeqNVXdh2dJsbPf_9eNUOSu8=w842-h631-no.jpg

Chris, I think you should rename that towel and call it a "banner" instead. ;)

Here's another picture of FOUR Talkbass members in a row, in the same place, at the same time. If we had one or two more we could perform Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom". :)

jgGtoy1kKu4AvoIOVE7UD2XQKtKZ8lFediyssUBmBOsDvsnwe56g6h-TVqGgfmMMpEy_RrYeEXpNp6oEB3E=w842-h631-no.jpg

Chris and Ric.

DywhZIXSRb0AeNJSn0f5ZRqyGN7mTDM5KkRWvHKvLLPvPz85I9HrdhyL4g6vvSyLLiyhaic9KsAx9TWFJu0=w842-h631-no.jpg

It was cool, but not cold. I've played outside in colder weather. I have some fingerless gloves that come in handy. Anyway, it was a nice night with good music and good friends.

If any of our So. Cal. TB'rs are looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon, December 2nd at 2pm, Mr. @McG's band, The Goat Hill Gamblers, will be playing a performance on their "CD release tour" at the Beatnik Bandito Music Emporium. I'm planning to attend.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Holdsg, dbase, OCDave and 7 others like this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I can attest to that statement. Live they are simply jaw dropping. :cool:

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. :laugh:

Thanks for the shout out Cliff. :thumbsup: Now we need be prepared for a crush of BassCliff autograph seekers :woot:

Disclaimer: Mr. BassCliff received no compensation for the above promotion. :D

dbase, BassCliff and Sore Thumb like this.
  11. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Chris and Ric. --- I get it!! :thumbsup:

dbase, McG, BassCliff and 1 other person like this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks SOOOO much for being there, Grant, and for the VERY kind comments. We both know there were a few brain fart moments as well (we just call those the "Rarities" versions,) but it was definitely a fun night.

Thanks Gary! It was great to meet you as well. I REALLY appreciate you coming out to see us, and look forward to seeing you play in the near future as well.

BTW, there are actually 6 voices! Dale is buried behind his music stand, which hopefully will change in 2018 as he's planning on switching to a tablet.

Hey Dan -
    Yeah, we bitch and moan as soon as it drops below 70 degrees. However, it was a bit chilly. Early on there was a bit of a breeze as well, which caused a few Yellow Submarine character casualties. :eek::thumbsdown::confused:

Thanks Mark! That would be killer. I need to find some time to get back to chasing bookings. Work has been stupid busy lately, so I need to cake in sick some day so I can get some band work done. I'd love to see you play as well!

Hi Dave -
    Still 7 members, no plans to go back to 8. We honestly don't miss not having an additional member, and stage wise it actually works out better - 4 in the front, 3 in the back (in the gaps.)

Indeed, HolmeBass! I was flattered indeed.

Thanks, Cliff - you are TOO kind. It was great to have so many knuckleheads all in one place, and I REALLY appreciate the support.

You're right, from now on I'll call it a banner!

Looking forward to seeing you guys again soon,
    Chris

dbase, HolmeBass, McG and 2 others like this.
  13. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    VERY kind, indeed, Grant.

Yeah, the Ric works out pretty well. Not the same model as Paul, but close enough for ja_ _...er, The Beatles!

dbase and McG like this.
  14. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    OK, call me crazy but I tuned in to Breakfast With the Beatles this morning and 'Anytime At All' came on. My first thought was "Wow, the Fab 8 sing it better than the Beatles. :cool:

nixdad likes this.
  15. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    WOW, Grant - that's very kind of you to say...VERY kind indeed!

McG likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021