1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nixdad w/The Fab 8, Webb School Affiliates Benefit, 10/6/17

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Everyone -
    Jeez! It's been a long time!

After a 5 month hiatus due to extended vacations & gig cancellations, The Fab 8 finally cleared the cobwebs by performing at The Webb School, which is a prestigious college-prep high school with international appeal in Claremont, CA. I believe it's the only high school in the country that has it's own paleontology museum (dinosaurs, baby!)

A few stock photos of the school:
    raymond-m-alf-museum-2_zpsdsdfcz0n.jpg
    img1_zps5tcn9pey.jpg
    th-10_zpsmg09tp91.jpg
    th-7_zps7i7uyurg.jpg
    th-8_zpsv5cqd6bp.jpg

The function was the Affiliates Benefit, which included dinner, entertainment, a silent and standard auction, and more. We have been working to get into more highfalutin private and corporate gigs like our buddy BassCliff, so hopefully this will be the beginning of many more to come.

Set up was at 3:30 pm, and it was about 95 degrees. It was a beautiful clear day, and there was zero commute for most of us (it's 5 minutes from my house.) The event was held on a nice flat grassy field in front of the administrative buildings, where they had our stage with a rear-projected video screen, dance floor, multiple tents and other facilities set up. The stage was perfect for us (12' x 24',) and had curtains behind to block all of the parked cars. We were able to pull right up and unload.

Pat & Doug setting up:
    Pat%20%20Doug%20setup_zpstpkb8fil.jpg

Matt:
    Matt%20keys%20setup_zps9h9mfk1w.jpg

Martie (who's also responsible for our mix & P.A. set up):
    Marty_zpscxpqgdrg.jpg

Pre-sound check:
    Set%20Up%201_zps184aovly.jpg

Stage right:
    Stage%20Left_zps09vrlgly.jpg

Stage left:
    Stage%20right_zpsknv7vfxn.jpg

And when it all comes together, it looks like this:
    Stage%20Panorama_zpsp7tzgjp7.jpg

Funny thing about The Fab 8 - although we're not nearly as loud as the average band, set up takes much longer than for average bands. Besides the fact that there are 7 of us, we do our best to keep stage volume at a very comfortable level so that everyone can hear each other. This is very important vocals-wise, so that everyone can blend properly with doing complex harmonies. Instead of using large floor monitors, we all have the little Mackie's (on mic stands) which allow Martie to send everyone their own mix. This works extremely well for us, as the volume on stage for the performance was perfect.

Our view from the stage:
    6b5f310d-cee2-45d6-b7b8-8b3965da32d2_zpsxnyjlddr.jpg

Catering staff setting up looking towards the stage:
    15317b4d-0199-4829-b391-db373a94821c_zpsx1mh4cd3.jpg

A shot of our T-shirts, including the brand-new gray with black lettering:
    ec704842-a3c9-44ff-8e63-2b87e282f3b5_zps1bfazvux.jpg

All for now. I'll be back to load more shortly...

DirtDog, Beamrider, Holdsg and 9 others like this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    A shot of most of my bass set up, including Ric, Acoustic amp, Mackie monitor, tablet & Reddi D.I. My pedalboard is not visible:
    Bass%20Gear_zpsotznl29w.jpg

This is Anne, the nice lady who hired us. True story & coincidence - it turns out several of my bandmates actually played at her wedding decades ago. Yes, she's still married to the same guy:
    Anne_zpsb6ieclra.jpg

Downbeat was 5:30 pm. We performed for about an hour, took a short break, and then performed for another 45 minutes or so as the auction was to begin at 7:30 pm sharp. The weather was perfect by the time the sun went down. We were just background music for the first 2 hours, as the guests were mostly under the far tent in the back which is where the food and silent auction items were located.
    fbcaa1ff-f2ba-461a-8ef7-ed1f98ae2c5e_zpskb4a64sg.jpg

Hai waiting for our bandmates to get back to the stage so we could start our 2nd set. I wonder what time it is?:
    Hai%20Lights_zpshlrrdpmx.jpg

Pat and Marty find their way back after enjoying some wine:
    Pat%20wine_zpsvgununxh.jpg

There were about 250 people in attendance. We were promptly stopped at 7:20 pm by the Master of Ceremonies, a guy in a suit named Chuck, as he kept reminding everyone how their opportunities for bidding on the silent action items was coming to a close. It was annoying as hell, but that was his job. This was our cue to go eat, as the different caterers were going to be shutting down and cleaning up soon.

Dbase....I beg your forgiveness. In the haste to find chow (which we did,) I forgot to take any food shots. There was a bit of pizza available, some sushi, and lots of Mediterranean food (which was delicious!) Beer and wine were also available.

The auctions were supposed to last for an hour or so, then we'd play until about 9:30 pm. Here are some shots of the silent auction items:
    87225be0-1cda-420f-84b5-280bed13120f_zps30wjybxv.jpg

565dfe90-ac4e-4970-9855-301a53b7b073_zpsnpylekhp.jpg

While on break, most of us went out to one of the cars to listen to the Dodgers game (Go Dodgers!.) However, Matt was perfectly content with is glass of wine sitting behind the stage:
    Matt%20wine_zpspvkqsrjy.jpg

After the auctions and lots of annoying banter from Chuck trying to get people to part with their money (which I believe was a success,) we finally got back to work. We performed "Because" & "Hey Bulldog" for the 1st time, and re-introduced "All You Need Is Love" as we had not done it in over a year. Our performance wasn't 100% perfect after a 5 month break, but it was a great night and all of the material was well received.

We had a request for "Yesterday," which believe it or not, we had never performed. Here's Hai singing with Pat on guitar:
    Band%20Stage%20Lights_zps5ict99si.jpg

...Matt provides the strings in the background:
    Matt%20keys_zpsdbqknzfr.jpg

People finally got up to dance during the last set (although many folks had left, as there was another full day of activities for them on Saturday,) so we had a blast performing multiple requests for the people who remained. One guy even tipped us $200 for playing a few of his favorites:
    b2c7f212-0f8f-4735-9945-a02b3fa42e44_zpsueh4rqhs.jpg

We ended the night in typical fashion with "Hey Jude." Matt killed it, the stragglers loved it, and there was magic in the air:
    45551b15-28f8-41b8-a7d4-f9c02136bf23_zpsiigamvb7.jpg

That's it. A great night close to home (which paid well,) playing Beatles music with my buddies, got fed, and met some nice people. Oh - and the Dodgers won!

I'm hoping this turns into an annual event - we were well received, and I think they really liked us. There was a photographer as well, so hopefully some band photos will be posted over the next few weeks.

Thanks for hanging. Next gig on 10/27.

Nixdad

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Road Hat, Fat Freddy, Gaolee and 20 others like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Man, you guys are the BEST!! I'd love to be able to drop in one night, and introduce myself. Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date on your gigs, glad you were so well received, and I'm sure you deserved it!! Dan

mwbonsall, nixdad and McG like this.
  4. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Great to see a Fab 8 gig report! I hope you guys get a plethora of corporate high end gigs! Thanks Chris.

Mark

nixdad and McG like this.
  5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Glad your back in the swing of things gigging ... Question Chris, how come you guys never stand? The Beatles never sat.... whats with that? ;)

nixdad and McG like this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Chris,

Looks like a special event. We're looking forward to seeing you guys in Claremont soon. It's great to see you lads gigging again.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice gig Chris!

I saw a Huell Howser episode on the Web School a few weeks ago. They showed the paleontology museum and followed the kids on an archeological dig. It really is a special school. Awesome you got to play there.

Such a great looking stage. I love that you keep an artistic Beatles vibe without the typical costuming. You certainly have the music down!

I'm getting really excited for the Chino Hills show. The rust will be completely knocked off by then. I predict an epic Fab 8 experience :thumbsup:

mwbonsall, nixdad and dbase like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Dan - we'd love to have you. We have 2 public gigs coming up, so come on out from Atlanta! EXCELLENT chance you'll be able to meet Cliff, Grant, and maybe even Mark or Gary (both of which I am looking forward to meeting as well) depending upon which show you choose. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark! Even though this was not a previous BassCliff event (at least, not yet ;),) I'm sticking with my plan to continue to stalk his gigs and see if we can get hired at many of the same venues in 2018. :cool:

Hey Bill -
    Even though we have all known each other for decades, and are or have been in other bands together, this band started off in 2011 at Pat's 50th birthday party with all of us sitting around his living room with a few acoustic guitars and a bass with everyone singing. When we chose to actually make this happen in the spring of 2012, the "sitting around the campfire and singing" vibe stuck (as we had actually all done camping on numerous occasions throughout the decades,) and thus became the "intimate" vibe that the band wanted to convey. We all remember how successful the "Unplugged" series was for MTV, so I'm certain that may have been an influence as well. Either way, I'm just happy to be a part of it.

When Pat's party took place, I played on only 2-3 songs that night as I had literally not played with anyone at that point in about 20 years (I left my band in '88 due to work, even though that band is still around today and includes 3 of my F8 bandmates.) I'm absolutely honored that they asked me to join.

BTW, The Beatles actually sat for the "live" broadcast of "All You Need Is Love"...!

All that being said, even though I don't think the seated dynamic will change, I have ideas to work in some other dynamics which will hopefully add some visual interest to our shows. Although I'm the idea guy in the band, I'm also the lowly bass player so we'll see how it goes. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Hey Cliff!
    We're looking forward to seeing you and the Fam on the 27th! Hopefully (for us) your night stays gig-free. :bassist:

Hey Grant -
    Thanks for all of the compliments! That means a lot. I'm so looking forward to seeing you guys in Chino Hills. Things should definitely be shiny by then! :hyper:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I would love to join you guys in Chino Hills but.... you know it's getting dark earlier and I don't like to drive at night plus it's 2685.8 miles away... but have a good time anyway ;) ;)

mwbonsall, Beamrider, McG and 2 others like this.
  10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Bill -
    That's no freakin' excuse. Get your a$$ out here to meet your TB brothers, listen to some good music, and break some bread!

mwbonsall, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  11. Love the paraphenalia on stage! Good stuff!
    HEY BULLDOG!

mwbonsall, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah Baby!

dbase likes this.
  13. Beamrider

Beamrider

Aug 24, 2007
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Loved all of this report, great gig! I really like the sensible approach towards volume - I wish many more bands (and sound crews) get into the idea that loud =/= good.

Just a question - with the Mackies so close to the mics, how do you deal with feedback? Positioning?

mwbonsall, nixdad and dbase like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very nice! thanks for sharing your experience! :thumbsup:

dbase, mwbonsall and nixdad like this.
  15. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No issues with feedback at all, even with all of the mics! Martie knows how to dial everything in, and as stated, the onstage mix was the best we've ever had. He was able to save all settings on our QSC mixer from our last gig 5 months ago (also an outside gig,) so adjustments for this gig were minimal.

You're welcome! Thanks for taking the time to post.

dbase, JRA, McG and 1 other person like this.
  16. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    No idea how I managed to miss this thread.....
    (I'll be thrown out of the Fab 8 fan club at this rate)....

Anyway.....Great to see the guys back in action.....

Brilliant!....:hyper::hyper::hyper:

dbase, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Freddy -
    No worries - you're still in good standing!

Update on this event: I just found out that Webb raised $270,000 during this event, which is a record breaker for them. We're proud to have been a part of it, and received glowing reviews for our performance.
    large_news962273_897242_zpsvlwl6may.jpg

I had planned to post our October 27th gig last Sunday, but my Photobucket was not working. I'll do my best to get this done this weekend.

18. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    270 Grand???......Good work fella's.....good work....:thumbsup:

Sore Thumb, nixdad and McG like this.
  19. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Outstanding Chris! That makes for a super feel-good performance :)

nixdad and Fat Freddy like this.
  20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Guys!
    Not sure if we had anything to do with it, but it was a fun event.

...maybe they would have cleared $500k if we played the song “Money!” ;)

Sore Thumb and Fat Freddy like this.