1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nixdad with The Fab 8, Old Stump Brewery, 11/2/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Nov 3, 2018.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Everyone!

Well, The Fab 8 just closed out our year with 3 gigs over the past week. We performed at the City of Claremont's final Friday Nights Live on Friday, October 26 from 6-9 pm, and then performed at The Shoppes at Chino Hills on Saturday, October 27 from 5-8 pm. We had beautiful weather for both gigs, as it was 90 degrees during the day, and cooled off nicely in the evening for very comfortable gigging weather. Although we had fun, attendance at both gigs was lighter than normal (about 150 people in Claremont, less than 100 in Chino Hills) since the Dodgers were playing in The World Series which just happened to coincide with our performance times. We've played both of these events several times in the past, so I didn't bother taking many pictures of either gig.

Our final gig of the year was last night at Old Stump Brewery in north Pomona (adjacent to La Verne.) Old Stump opened their doors 3 years ago in an industrial building on the corner of Bonita Ave and Metropolitan Pl, and as far as I'm aware, is the largest microbrewery in this area. Since we have 7 members in our band and take up a lot of space (we typically require a 12'x24' area,) Old Stump is the only venue of it's kind that has enough room to accommodate us.

osb-logo-color-200.

Although Old Stump did very little promotion, we drew a pretty good crowd. This combined with their regulars to make for a very well attended event with people inside and outside (where we were performing.) This was the only promotion which which was posted on their Facebook page just a few days ago:
    44979405_2101654453287856_7185305519693758464_n.

Here's photo I found on the inter webs which I used on our Facebook page to promote the event. I thought it was appropriate.
    beatlesslideshow_post_home.

The weather for the gig could not have been more perfect. It was 86 degrees when I left the house for the short drive to the venue. It was 76 degrees at our 7 pm downbeat, and in the high 60's by the time we ended at 10 pm. Since we had hired a videographer/photographer for this event, I asked everyone to arrive early so we could get set up (which takes about 2 hours for this band,) be available for photos and have enough time to set lighting and audio for the recording.
    IMG_2756.JPG

Old Stump is located in a very nondescript industrial building and look like what you'd expect on the outside:
    IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2763.JPG

Most of Old Stump is indoors, but it has a nice sized patio as well (which is where we performed.) Here's a photo of the large mural they have inside. This is big building with plenty of seating.
    IMG_2764.JPG

They have a great selection of their tasty brews. This photo was taken early during set up. Believe me, this place was pretty well packed and rockin' by performance time:
    IMG_2766.JPG

Photos of the patio area:
    IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    We have a nice view of the mountains to the north between the power lines and cell towers:
    IMG_2779.JPG

Here's our little corner of paradise. It doesn't look like much now, but within the next few hours it will be filled with so much poopiee that you'll barely be able to see the lovely asphalt floor:
    IMG_2758.JPG

The setup dance begins. Here's Pat, Hai & Matt:

IMG_2772.JPG
    Martie & Dale:
    IMG_2771.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG

A behind the scenes look at Dale's percussion and ancillary instrument pen. All of these little details are part of what makes a Fab 8 show unique. All performed live, nothing sampled! Oh yeah, he sings as well!
    - Bongos
    - Harmonicas
    - Tambourine
    - Shakers
    - Cowbell
    - Bicycle Horn
    - Alarm Clock
    - Firebell
    View attachment 3202529

My Acoustic wedge combo B100C & Reddi tube D.I.:

IMG_2774.JPG

Mackie monitor, tablet & pedalboard:
    IMG_2775.JPG
    Ric 4003:
    IMG_2776.JPG

That's about 20 photos. To be continued...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    SWRnut, Holdsg, Wisebass and 18 others like this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    A few of my coworkers also attended the gig last night. This is Paul.
    IMG_2781.JPG
    Trinidad
    IMG_2787.JPG
    Joel (another coworker) in the hat facing the camera. He's the videographer/photographer we hired. The videos and photos we've been using to get gigs are all 3 years old, so I look forward to seeing what he comes up with for the finished product.
    IMG_2785.JPG
    The place starts to fill up about an hour before showtime:
    IMG_2782.JPG
    The lights go on as the sun is setting...
    IMG_2788.JPG
    The stage is set...
    IMG_2789.JPG

It truly was a night of friends, family, coworkers and meeting new people. There was even a small pre-Class of '78 40th Reunion for Damien High School (all boys), Pomona Catholic and St. Lucy's High Schools (both all girls) at Old Stump tonight as well (the reunion itself is actually tonight.) Bandmate Pat and I are both Damien Class of '79 graduates, so it was great to see several old classmates.

Just before the show, my son Nick and buddy @BassCliff arrive to enjoy the show. BassCliff brought his family as well. Nick is a working bassist as well, and is typically booked almost every Friday (and Saturday nights) with his cover band Saloon No. 12. This was a rare night off for him, so he came down to watch the old man do his best Paul McCartney imitation.
    IMG_2794.JPG

And...its SHOWTIME!
    IMG_2796.JPG
    Photos courtesy of @BassCliff...
    20181102_194343.
    20181102_194357.

20181102_194302.

That's all for now until I have Joel's photos and video. Martie recorded the show direct through the board, so we should have some decent audio to go along with the images. I'll circle back as soon as I have more to share.

My goal is to book more gigs for early 2019 in the very near future to avoid our typical "April through October" gigging season and keep everyone fresh and in practice. We added more complex harmony tunes this year (like "Because,") so it's important we maintain our edge while everyone has their vocal parts memorized.

I look forward to viewing everyone else's gig posts while I'm on the sidelines.

Until next time.
    Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    SWRnut, Holdsg, Bassed in NZ and 29 others like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Man, congrats on a great season! Best of luck for 2019, by the way! Now, about that Reddi....I've heard they're for going direct into a board, but why do you use one? Is the Acoustic just a personal monitor?

4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Outstanding Chris! So cool that Nick made it, AND Cliff and fam. Really a special way to end Fab 8 Tour 2018. :cool: I really wanted to be there but I thought I better show up at my own gig. ;)

Looking forward to the pro pics and vids. :)

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Lovely report Chris....

It's always good to get together with friends and family....:thumbsup:

dbase, Spidey2112, McG and 2 others like this.
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Hoping to catch you guys next season. Looking forward to checking out those vids.

Were currently trying to work out how to do "I am the Walrus" as a 4 piece.

McG, nixdad, Fat Freddy and 1 other person like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Dan!
    Since everything with this band is sent to the P.A. and the amp is just my onstage monitor, the goal with the Reddi was to send the warmest, fattest signal possible to the board.

Yeah, showing up for your own gig was definitely the priority, Grant! It was an excellent night overall and a fun gig to close out the year.

Now that I don't have any gigs of my own I'll keep en eye on your calendar. I needs me a GHG fix!:smug:

Agreed, Ron, and thanks for your support! :D

That would be great, Scott! I'll be glad to share them with everyone once I have them.

"I am the Walrus" hasn't made it to our target list yet, but what a great tune! Much more of an instrumentation challenge rather than a vocal challenge. Please let me know how it works out for you, and please post a video if you guys get this nailed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  8. The last alternative band I was in, guitar, bass, drums and vocals, played I Am The Walrus. I was an interpretive venture. I play fretless bass and I’d play some of the string parts. I was a very fun song. At the end, the long fade out, I eventually de-tuned my E string down to follow the pattern. The crowd loved it!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. Along with @BassCliff ’s posts, I enjoy yours too!

nixdad, McG and Fat Freddy like this.
  10. Cool gig report, looks like a fun night!

nixdad and Fat Freddy like this.
  11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Chris,

FABulous! You guys were in great form. I'm glad I saw the band tearing it up. Sorry I didn't stay for the last set but I wanted to get my family safely home before the mosh pit started.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    SWRnut, dbase, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Ok....help an old Brit out here....What's a 'most pit?'....:confused:

Nice job with the pics sir!....:thumbsup:

dbase, nixdad and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. I think he means “mosh pit”

nixdad, Spidey2112 and Fat Freddy like this.
  14. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Ok.....so.....hang on a minute.........

You still there?.....Got it now....Googled it....Never heard that term before....:bag:

nixdad and Bunk McNulty like this.
  15. I’m back, cooked dinner, took shower and punched back in here.

Mosh pit...glad I was playing when I saw them...

nixdad, Sore Thumb and Fat Freddy like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Well, I think he means moist...

Way to go, Nixie! Keep rocking, brotator!

JRA, nixdad and Fat Freddy like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Hey, what happened to one person wearing a crazy shirt?

18. @BassCliff ....your assistance please...

nixdad, Fat Freddy and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This'll be good... :laugh:... not to take away from Nixie, of course...

... 90°, and it cooled off for some nice gig weather...

... pfft.

It's a damp 50° here, and looks like the apocalypse is about to commence...

20. Hey, I was just wondering why you play seasonal or limited dates?

Love what you and your group do!

nixdad, Spidey2112 and Fat Freddy like this.