1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nixdad with The Fab 8 @ The Huntington, 8/10/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Aug 11, 2019.

1. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Well, you're right - WOW!!!! Fantastic gig! (As a quick aside, I worked Security at a Pater Frampton concert last night, here in Atlanta, and your crowd looks as huge!!!). I'll just bet the powers that be, will have you back next year, with no time limits on your performance - way to go!! Nice bass, by the way!!!

2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Dan! I'll bet working the Frampton concert was cool. How was the band?

If we do get asked back, I'm hoping they'll allow us to perform a longer set. Several people came up afterwards and said I wished you would have played "this," or I wish you would have performed "that." Our set was definitely loaded with more 2.5 to 3 minute early hits from The Beatles catalog than loaded with longer later tunes. If we play next year, we'll make sure to include many more later tunes, including "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "A Day In the Life," etc.

3. @BassCliff: True Willie might need to find the stolen Gardner Museum artworks if you want to top this report! :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  4. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Wow! Looks like a great job in a beautiful setting. Superlative gig report! It pleases me to see the support for a local gem like that.
    We all strive for gigs like that!

Wisebass, BassManKK, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  5. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    :woot: Wow! A high quality gig and a high quality gig report. I hope this opens many doors for you guys. Don't forget us little people! :)

Wisebass, BassManKK, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  6. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I don't know! But that is high praise indeed! Thanks for posting, what an amazing gig!

Wisebass, BassManKK, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  7. "Wow" indeed! Thank you for sharing!

Wisebass, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  8. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    nixdad: The Peter Frampton concert was freakin' AWEsome. He did everything, PLUS! And, as you might expect, the band was superb. What a show!!

McG, nixdad, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  9. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Chris:

What a great gig! I'm bummed that it was a "private" event. I live in San Gabriel - only 2.2 miles from the Huntington! I'm also kicking myself for not checking your gig cal because maybe you could have gotten me in as your bass tech ;) - I'll be checking your calendar more often now!

Yeah, so WOW is what I was thinking as well. Gigs like this are not easy to get and it's so cool that you got it with an email - total crap shoot - and as you said, "we all know what the odds are of hearing from anyone through a general email." Your website is excellent - goes to show that it's a good idea to have all that together.

I just left a band that I had stayed in too long because they (BL) had NONE of that together. He thought that the old business model of playing gigs at the local restaurant would lead to BBG's (bigger better gigs). Yeah, that works, but not as well as it did before. When I first joined that band, they were working a LOT. I could post a whole rant on this one, but I don't want to get off topic here. This is about YOUR excellent gig!

Nice work!

Woody (bwoodman)

Wisebass, McG, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  10. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Get this..... I happen to be passing through Huntington WV at this very moment on our way to Louisville. It was also named for Collis P. Huntington. Railroad magnate...completed the C&O from Richmond, where I currently live, to the Ohio Valley.
    The planets seem to be in alignment...

Wisebass, McG, BassManKK and 4 others like this.
  11. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    The batcave scenes were shot in Griffith Park. I always heard that my dad worked the merry-go-round there when he met my mom, but that was in the '40s.

Love the Sno--glo with checkerboard btw. Cool bass. Perfect for that fab gig.

12. <whistle> That was one sweet gig! Congrats, and well done! That looks like a fantastic space to play music in, or even just visit and hang out in.

13. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Great report, Chris. Congratulations on a great gig. Nice opportunity your group. I hope it leads to great things for you.

Best wishes.

Koog

14. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    4000 people!!!! That is awesome! Congrats on an sweet gig!

15. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    such a cool gig, and great report. Been to the Huntington several times, but never played a gig there. Fantastic that so many people showed up.

16. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Something tells me you guys will become a So Cal institution.

Wisebass, McG, Sore Thumb and 3 others like this.
  17. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Understatement of the year. I love that place.

Anyway...nice gig! I am getting somewhat...fewer folks showing up at ours.

Wisebass, Sore Thumb, MCF and 3 others like this.
  18. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you! We were VERY pleased as well. It's great to see that the members of The Huntington do indeed support the institution.

Very nice of you to say so, Tony. I hope it leads to bigger & better as well.

Thanks Dave!

Thanks for taking the time to view!

Hey Woody -
    Doggone it, I definitely would have been able to get you on the list! :banghead:
    Yeah, I do my best to shake the tree and find as many opportunities as possible. We don't have any issues with anyone liking the way we sound, our typical issue is that we don't get hired because a venue already works with a Beatles band and won't hire another due to loyalty. It's a bummer, but I totally get it as we get hired year after year for certain events as well due to relationships and loyalty (it doesn't hurt that the band delivers as well.)

Keep an eye on our calendar, as if we get hired back in 2020 I'll definitely put you on the VIP list.

I agree - thanks!

Thank you - you're very kind!
    Indeed it is a sweet place. The Huntington is once of those locations that takes multiple visits to see everything.

Thanks Koog!

Thank you!

Hey Gary -
    Yep, pretty cool. I love the fact that their members do indeed deliver when it comes to support.

That would be nice, MCF! We doing our best to carve out our niche market as an acoustic/electric Celebration of The Beatles.

Inky13, Wisebass, Sore Thumb and 2 others like this.
  19. Holy crowd! IT looks like the real Beatles are playing! :)
    You covered it all right here -i licked the screen for that BBQ sandwich
    ! :)

20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You know how it goes - some of our gigs will draw 300-400, and others in the thousands. The reason we did so well at The Huntington is because of their own promotion and their loyal Members. If they had not promoted, who knows what the end result would have been.

Is your band a Beatles group as well, or something else?

Wisebass, Sore Thumb and arbiterusa like this.