1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nixdad with The Fab 8 @ The Huntington, 8/10/19

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Aug 11, 2019.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey James -
    Yeah, it was a blast!
    I hope you enjoyed the sammich.;)

Wisebass and Jimmy4string like this.
  2. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Heh. Something else. I'm one of those weirdos who really does not like the Beatles much at all.

That being said, I'd join a Beatles cover band in a heartbeat. One of those bands, like Rush (except everyone on the planet knows and has heard the Beatles a minimum of one million times over) where you cannot play or sing ONE wrong note or the audience may well literally eat you alive. I like those kind of "failure is not an option" kind of gigs. So, maximum kudos.

Wisebass, Sore Thumb and nixdad like this.
  3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

Thanks for the great gig report, really "one for the books," a joy to read and look at. Hopefully you'll be getting your hands on some more pics and can post a few more of the better ones.

Also, congratulations on keeping your eye on the prize and putting your shoulder to the wheel, expending all the efforts necessary to get a big fish like this into your boat. To all those wondering "Why do they get this gig and I don't?" The answer is, "Because they work harder at it." Job well done, Chris, in so many ways!

Sore Thumb and nixdad like this.
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    We appreciate the maximum kudos, @arbiterusa!

Thanks for your kind words, @KeyzerSoze. I look forward to seeing the professional photos as well, and will no doubt post many of them when available.
    I also really appreciate your comments on landing the gig - it feels great when something like this comes to fruition. We landed another well paid opportunity in 2017 as I had (inadvertently) overheard a conversation while at a car wash, and took a moment to introduce myself and get some contact info. That turned out to be a fund raiser at a College Prep School which is less than a mile from my house. They raised more money than ever before that year. We have yet to be hired back (as I believe they have since opted for variety dance bands,) but who knows, maybe the cycle will come back around again in the future. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Sore Thumb, BassCliff and arbiterusa like this.
  5. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

BTW, nice Snowglo RIC!! LIKE!

Woodman

Sore Thumb and nixdad like this.
  6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    We were on a cruise for two weeks last month. One of the acts was a group called Beatles Invasion. The music was ok; not stellar, but a cut above Dad band stuff. Their shtick was the look, suits, wigs, violin bass, Ric guitar, you get the picture. Fun and all, but I gotta believe after a venue hears you guys that they’d rather book you than someone else.

7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Music sounds great - I love the no drums approach. Will dig deeper when I get some time. Such an incredible catalog of music to work with!

Wisebass, Sore Thumb and nixdad like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Woody! Yeah, she's pretty sweet.

It all depends on what the venue is looking for. No matter how good we sound, if the hiring party has their heart set on costume & wig impersonators, there's no way we're getting the gig.

As we both know, there are costume & wig groups that are exceptional (The Fab Four & Rain just to name two,) and there are many, many more which are mediocre. We lost out on getting hired for a nice retirement community gig a few years ago because they had hired a Paul McCartney impersonator for not 1, but 2 shows back to back, and the guy apparently didn't deliver. That put them off from hiring any act that was Beatles related for quite some time. Enough dust has since settled, so I'm going to try approaching them again as soon as our promo video is ready.

Thank you for saying so, @bherman! We have 4-5 hours of Beatles tunes down, so we're able to rotate songs accordingly depending upon the gig. Even with that, we've barely scratched the surface - there are so many more tunes that I want us to learn.

9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here are a few other photos we just received from an audience member:
    Doug & Hai FOTH.JPG
    Pat Front.JPG
    Martie smiling.JPG
    Doug front.JPG

HolmeBass, Wisebass, Jamvan and 4 others like this.
  10. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I like the psychedelic shirts. :thumbsup:

11. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Grant! That means a lot coming from you. This is only our 3rd time wearing these, and not wearing our matching black or white shirts with the embroidered logo which we introduced in 2016. Wearing the psychedelic shirts for this gig seemed to be a good "fit."

Since we're not impersonators, trying to find a look that works for us and still has a somewhat "Beatlesque" theme is a definitely a challenge. I'd love to find something that would convey a "California Beatles" theme that works in warm weather. Not necessarily matching, but something that shares a central thread. I think we're getting close, or at least may be on the right track.

However, as the song goes, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." ;)

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Chris,

Yes, I like that look too. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, Wisebass and Fat Freddy like this.
  13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Chris :)

Honestly? I don 't know where to start!

To sum it up in one word, with my first thought

Daaaang!

This was my second thought! You guys look awesome with these!

Fits for the Beatles theme and still looks very neat and pro! :thumbsup:

I would keep that look! (maybe don' t ask folks to vote Timothy Leary for governor ;):laugh:)

great gig report! Thx for sharing! :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Sore Thumb, McG and nixdad like this.
  14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Duly noted - thanks for saying so, Cliff!

Thank you for both comments, @Wisebass!

With the recent string of comments, it seems like we may be on the right track after all.

Sore Thumb, McG and BassCliff like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

too cool! nice job all the way around! congrats! :thumbsup:

nixdad and Wisebass like this.
  16. I think the psychedelic shirts fit exactly what you’re looking for, personally.

Spidey2112, nixdad and Fat Freddy like this.
  17. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you, @JRA!

I appreciate that - thanks @HolmeBass!

HolmeBass, Spidey2112 and JRA like this.
  18. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Incredible gig! I agree with Cliff, you should pick up additional gigs after that performance.

Very impressive and I imagine an incredible feeling for the band.

nixdad, McG, Sore Thumb and 1 other person like this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks @Medford Bassman! We hope this gig will lead to bigger and better, no doubt. Walking out of the green room and seeing the crowd was a thrill. I only wish we had the opportunity to play longer!

Chris

Sore Thumb, McG and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Agreed! That's the kind of gig where you don't want it to end and they have to drag you off stage.

Sore Thumb, BassCliff and nixdad like this.