1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nixdad with The Fab 8, The Shoppes at Chino Hills 9/22/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nixdad, Sep 26, 2018.

1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Everyone!

The is the 2nd time we've performed at The Shoppes at Chino Hills, and we'll be back again on Saturday, October 27th. Our first time was November 11th when it was about 57 degrees, but no such nonsense this time as temps were in the mid-90's during setup. Gig time was 5-8 pm.

Chino Hills is a nice community about 40 miles east of Los Angeles. It's nestled between several So Cal Freeways; it's south of the 60, north of the 91, and the 71 runs right through it.
    th-7.
    22553374_10155814499234281_525622820000989117_o.

The Shoppes at Chino Hills is a nice open air-type mall with all kinds of retail stores and restaurants, and features a nice fountain. It's been 2 months since our last gig, so we were chomping at the bit to play again.

We had our 2nd rehearsal of the year just a few days prior to the gig. All of our gigs had gone very well this year on just 1 rehearsal, so we were feeling pretty good about this gig as well. We added 3 new tunes including "Rain," "The Fool On the Hill" & "Sgt. Pepper's Reprise" (which leads into "A Day In the Life," which we've been performing since 2016.) We also brought back "Because" which we have not performed since 2017. As you can tell, most of the tunes are very harmony heavy. I was especially looking forward to performing "Rain" for obvious reasons. ;)

BIG THANKS to @McG for making the trip north from Costa Mesa to see us. He's also responsible for most of the photos. Thanks Grant!

Since it was a Saturday afternoon, the commute for me was a breeze. It's less than a 30 minute drive from my house.
    http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg595/cmaury61/IMG_2637_zpsbinkpkef.jp
    g

The 24'x12' stage (perfect for us) is covered this time of year, which provided some welcome shelter from the heat. Here's Martie & Dale during set up.
    IMG_2642_zpskxcwaftc.

Hai wonders why it's taking so long for us to set up - he's ready to play.
    56ff5a31-2278-43d2-866d-66f42fb232f4_zpsumce0pyr.

Here's a shot of the fountain. It was packed with kids a short time before this picture was taken.
    F8-4_zpsdrgxfyzx.

This is Doug. Instead of wearing matching black or white shirts as we've done for the past 2 years, we had discussed a plan a few months ago for everyone to wear something non-matching and colorful before our big summer concert show in July. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. So, at this show Doug decided to go rogue and wear his new "groovy" shirt (the call for the day was the white shirts.) Let me know what you think about this potential new look!
    IMG_2640_zpszk2oiqdt.

The Shoppes host a Summer Concert Series with Tribute Bands in the middle of the summer which is well promoted, and probably draw 1,000 or more people. The fountain is off during those shows, as the entire area is packed with people. The Saturday shows (like this one) appear on their calendar, but that's about all the promotion they provide.

Out of nowhere, this handsome man showed up. I was truly honored. Here's Grant and I just prior to the show.
    F8-1_zpss825fquc.

Grant, about 30 minutes before showtime. We drew a decent crowd as time went on. They appreciated the music and we appreciated that they were there!
    IMG_2639_zpsnkw0pk5u.

My new bowler. I'm typically not a hat guy, so we'll see how it works out. I was inspired by the stylish @McG! I bought it a few months ago, but it was too hot to wear it in the middle of summer:
    IMG_2645_zpsdt0z7jkf.

Stage shot:
    IMG_2647_zpsfvtbbe7w.

And it's time to play!
    F8-6_zpsx4olzlge.
    F8-9_zps8ik4wjos.
    F8-8_zpsjij9tczm.

The crowd began to grow as the evening drew near:
    F8-3_zpspp0unnwo.

Pat during the break:
    IMG_2648_zpsioitemzc.

This couple was really cute. They really enjoyed themselves, and we enjoyed their presence!
    F8-2_zpstrnkbfwr.

Although fuzzy, here's a night shot with our Chauvet lights:
    F8-11_zps09dcnqmv.

We took one break after a long first set, and then played through sets 2 & 3 with no additional break. Although we had a blast as always, unfortunately, this was not our best show. There were by no means any train wrecks, it was just a show with a number of mistakes (I contributed plenty.) Some were on the new material which we'd only played a few times at rehearsal, and others on songs we've performed for years. Oh well. On the other hand, most of the songs came off beautifully with some real high points, and several of the new songs went well. We look forward to getting back on track this weekend!

This Saturday (9/29) we'll be at the inaugural La Verne On Tap Beer Walk in downtown La Verne from 5-8:30 pm. Lots of great craft beers, food and music. It should be fun! If you're in the area, please come join us! beerwalkflyer-1.

Until next time,
    Chris

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Wow Chris - great looking gig! Would love to see you guys sometime.

I'm voting yes to the bowler - its a good look!

nixdad, Wisebass, McG and 1 other person like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Forget the Fab 8... I want to hang with the Terrific Two's!

F8-1_zpss825fquc.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

coll gig! cool pics! i know you guys did a great job and entertained. :thumbsup:

nixdad, Wisebass, McG and 2 others like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    @nixdad I don't think everyone wearing something odd would go over, but maybe one person is encouraged to wear something colorful like that, and the rest of you wear the band shirts. Let's you keep the general look, but still adds some color (and makes people wonder why).

nixdad, Wisebass, McG and 2 others like this.
  6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Man, fan-TAS-tic!!! (And, I like the new shirt.) Such beautiful surroundings, a host of new classics, what the heck's not to like?! Great seeing you guys playing again, a big hello to Grant, as well of course, and looking forward to more in October!!

7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Any CD's on the horizon?... you live so far away I cant get to see you guys. Looks to me you had good gig. (even without the food pics) ;)

nixdad, Wisebass, McG and 1 other person like this.
  8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That looked like a cool gig. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it. Work always gets in the way of fun. The bowler is a great look. I saw a yellow submarine bass on here awhile back. That would be cool, too. :thumbsup:

nixdad, McG and Kitsapbass like this.
  9. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Awesome pics Grant!!!! Chris, glad you had such a great gig!!!!

nixdad, McG and elgecko like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Chris,

Nice gig. Sorry I missed it. I should be back in town in time to see you guys on Saturday. I'll try to make it. I always enjoy hearing your ensemble perform.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, nixdad, pjbassist and 2 others like this.
  11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    The Chino Hills gig looks fun, wish I could make it out for the 10/ 27 show, unfortunatly I'll be on a plane back to the frozen white north that day. Love the Beatles tunes and you guys do it right.

Still waiting for Will lee's band the Fab Faux to visit my part of the world.

Sore Thumb, nixdad, McG and 1 other person like this.
  12. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    The Walrus Is Doug

nixdad likes this.
  13. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I think most of us citizens of the West Coast feel the same way.

nixdad likes this.
  14. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Looks like a sweet gig! Great report, thanks.

nixdad likes this.
  15. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Chris,

Fortunately the temp was down to the upper 80s by gig time and cooled down quickly by sunset. It really was a beautiful evening. :)

The Fab 8's strength is harmonies. Always spot on and seriously impressive. Never one pitchy note. :cool:

You nailed the part Chris. :thumbsup:

I'd been looking forward to this show for a long time. :)

Sorry I'm not a better photographer. Especially the night shot. My cell phone camera doesn't like low light. :meh:

Being such a warm evening there were lots of kids in the fountain. The music would really get them running around.

It's a great place for kids. I wish I would have taken a photo of it but the red and white objects you see behind the fountain are the cars of a mini train that gives kids rides around the courtyard.

Here's a stock photo of it.
    c69c4c4bab05a73eea0ffa6e25a0e13d--trains.

I vote for the Fab 8 shirts as well. Very classy and keeping the Beatles-dressed-alike vibe. Although Doug's shirt was very cool. As Buldog said, a different shirt in the mix adds color. Having it on the percussion riser worked nicely.

It's always a pleasure seeing you Chris. :)

I meant to tell you how much I liked the bowler. Great style for you! :cool:

These kids really got into dancing. The boy in the striped shirt had some moves. :laugh:

The crowd doubled in size by the break. Although it wasn't a huge crowd (I'd estimate 50 or 60 people) It was a very vocal crowd that was completely into the music. :thumbsup:

I'd never seen a South Park Beatles shirt. Had to get a pic. She said she got it in London.

Not only did you not take a second break, you guys played encores going 20 minutes longer than planned. We all appreciated the extra music. :)

99.9% of the show was perfect. There may have been a minor pothole here and there but they were barely noticeable.

Awww... thanks Spidey. Anytime TB'ers get together is a good time. :thumbsup:

Hi Dan. :)

16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Chris :)

thMB739LC4.

Wait! You are not the "Talking 8s" (not that I dislike the shirt, but … :D)

The bowler is very Brittish! Keep it!

great gig report! Thx for sharing :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

MCF, Sore Thumb, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  17. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Outstanding!

nixdad likes this.
  18. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Looks like a fun gig. Like the hat! Thanks for the report.

nixdad likes this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks @Bassed in NZ! Right back atcha! Let us all know if you have any plans to come to California. I appreciate the vote for the bowler as well!

Anytime, @Spidey2112!

Thanks @JRA!

I appreciate your comments, @buldog5151bass - that may be an approach we'll consider. Thanks for checking out the post!

Thanks Dan! I appreciate the comments about Doug's shirt as well. If we go down that road, everyone would choose their own shirts. I've already purchased several Robert Graham shirts, but have yet to wear one at a gig.

Hi Bill. No CD's at this point, but I'll certainly let you know if that changes!

Hi @G19Tony, it was fun, and I appreciate the vote of confidence on the bowler.
    I've seen the Yellow Submarine bass - it's a cool novelty.
    th-8.

However, I'll stick with my Ric 4003 and Fender Starcaster!

It was fun, Nate! Luckily we have 4 more to go this year, and hopefully we'll add more.

Spidey2112 and JRA like this.
  20. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Just want to thank both Chris and Grant for a terrific gig report....

Loved the Bowler...(I've got one too)....:hyper:....

One of these days I'll get my butt down there to meet some of you guys.....

Hopefully....:thumbsup:

McG, Spidey2112 and nixdad like this.