1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NJ4SV question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FlyingFinn, May 13, 2011.

1. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn

Mar 28, 2011
    Finland
    Hi everyone,

just bought these pups and noticed that one of the other pup's coils is wired with blue/turquoise wire. Not sure if it's painted or what, is this normal to these pups and what's the reasoning behind this?

Thanks in advance

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Interesting. Mine have the same color wire on both pickups.

I'd say it was just a different spool of wire was used for that coil. I'm sure wire with the same specs was used, just different color insulation.

3. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn

Mar 28, 2011
    Finland
    Thanks for your input. Another thing is they came with different pickup covers, one with matte finish and other with shiny finish. That just doesn't make much sense to me. I was expecting identical pickups. I was just worried the dealer sent me wrong pickup. But I hope you're right.

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    can you post pics?

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I think the dealer did send you one of the wrong pickups.

I remember reading a while back about the fact that Carey uses a purple-ish wire to wind one of his pickups (can't remember which, maybe the NJ4SE?) and I'm fairly certain my NJ4SV was plain copper wire winding.

6. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I can confirm that my NJ4SVs are coppery colored wire (either a clearcoat, or sliiightly reddish.)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd contact Carey and ask him directly. They've offers their pickups in matte and glossy covers. Maybe the covers got mixed up. I've never seen any Nordy pickups with a blue wire.

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    if the OP would post a pic, I could help him (!)

M

9. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn

Mar 28, 2011
    Finland
    Can't post pics at the moment, because my bass is at my luthier for re-fretting and he is going to throw those Nordy pickups+2B-4a preamp on my bass too. Im not really worried about those pickups covers, I read a while back someone also got his Nordy pickups with different covers.

Anyway, so 3 out of 4 coils are indeed copper wire and this one coil is turquoise. Maybe this is some new method and it's same wire but painted so it's easier for wirer to recognize the pickups? I'm not holding my breath for Carey to post here, so I'll try to contract him via email.

Thanks fellas

10. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    I see. Are you sure it's not tape to protect the coil?.... pretty sure (still, a pic would help).
    If it were me, I would not be excited to have two different pup covers on my bass, but.... it's yours :smug: