1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NM410 serial # 0001. First impression...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The new EA 4x10 cab rolled in here just a little while ago. It's quite a cab, but light for a 4x10. Played my five string fretted and four string fretless through it, what a monster. It got painful very easily with just the 500w/8 ohms of my own iAMP800 (serial#008), especially with my son slapping the fiver.

I think it unwise to even think about writing a review of a cabinet that one has only just begun to experience, and in only one environment, so I'll save that for later. So far I can only say, "I like it." Sounds like other EA cabinets with its characteristic off-axis clarity, and it has some incredible booty and overwhelming hit. It was also quite smooth with my old fretless, and I find the side ports very interesting. I look forward to spending more time with, especially on-stage.

We're off this weekend, but I'll get it out on a (classic rock) gig next Friday night. Meanwhile, you can be sure it will get some action here between then and now, including some acoustic instrument workouts-- but I doubt I'll take it out on any URB gigs ;)

Disclaimer: I'm an EA dealer (and player).

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Bob,

Would it be comparable to say 2 VL2x10-B's???

~S~

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Could be, I really need to get it out on stage and play it more to come to any firm conclusions, though it has that same sort of solid yet clear response character; I always marvelled at the combination of warmth and clarity. I gigged a pair of VL210B cabs (using Kern/QSC2402) for a couple years and am very familiar with them- I loved that rig. My needs are slightly more modest these days, I gig a pair of VL208 cabs, which are darker by nature.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Would you say that the NM-410 leans more towards the VL-series sound, the CXL-series sound, or the NL-210 sound? I was somewhat surprised to find that the NL-210 is a bit of a tonal divergence from my other EA 2x10's. It is a bit warmer and fatter, at the sacrifice of a smidge less clarity (which makes it a great cab to pair up with a CXL-112, BTW).

So, I am curious to hear what tonal direction John has gone this time. Then again, maybe it's best that I don't know, or else I'd have to buy one of these, too...

Thanks for sharing your observations, Bob!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ...and that's all a gent like myself really needs. ;)

and yea, let us know BG. would love to hear how it handles LowB'ness in a group setting.

but IME & TME's, a single cab always seems to have more punch and focus than the speakers split across two different cabs. but again, that's after hearing a pair of B-1's vs. B-2, and a pair of Epifani UL1x12's, vs. one UL2x12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.