NM410 serial # 0001. First impression...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The new EA 4x10 cab rolled in here just a little while ago. It's quite a cab, but light for a 4x10. Played my five string fretted and four string fretless through it, what a monster. It got painful very easily with just the 500w/8 ohms of my own iAMP800 (serial#008), especially with my son slapping the fiver.

I think it unwise to even think about writing a review of a cabinet that one has only just begun to experience, and in only one environment, so I'll save that for later. So far I can only say, "I like it." Sounds like other EA cabinets with its characteristic off-axis clarity, and it has some incredible booty and overwhelming hit. It was also quite smooth with my old fretless, and I find the side ports very interesting. I look forward to spending more time with, especially on-stage.

We're off this weekend, but I'll get it out on a (classic rock) gig next Friday night. Meanwhile, you can be sure it will get some action here between then and now, including some acoustic instrument workouts-- but I doubt I'll take it out on any URB gigs ;)

Disclaimer: I'm an EA dealer (and player).

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

Would it be comparable to say 2 VL2x10-B's???

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Could be, I really need to get it out on stage and play it more to come to any firm conclusions, though it has that same sort of solid yet clear response character; I always marvelled at the combination of warmth and clarity. I gigged a pair of VL210B cabs (using Kern/QSC2402) for a couple years and am very familiar with them- I loved that rig. My needs are slightly more modest these days, I gig a pair of VL208 cabs, which are darker by nature.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Would you say that the NM-410 leans more towards the VL-series sound, the CXL-series sound, or the NL-210 sound? I was somewhat surprised to find that the NL-210 is a bit of a tonal divergence from my other EA 2x10's. It is a bit warmer and fatter, at the sacrifice of a smidge less clarity (which makes it a great cab to pair up with a CXL-112, BTW).

So, I am curious to hear what tonal direction John has gone this time. Then again, maybe it's best that I don't know, or else I'd have to buy one of these, too...

Thanks for sharing your observations, Bob!
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ...and that's all a gent like myself really needs. ;)

and yea, let us know BG. would love to hear how it handles LowB'ness in a group setting.

but IME & TME's, a single cab always seems to have more punch and focus than the speakers split across two different cabs. but again, that's after hearing a pair of B-1's vs. B-2, and a pair of Epifani UL1x12's, vs. one UL2x12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.