1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NMD - JBL LSR305

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mapleglo, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Just picked up a set of these JBL studio monitor at GC, on sale for $99 each.

Can't beat them for that price. I've done some research on inexpensive monitors, and these seem to get pretty good reviews. For my little recording setup, I don't know that I'll need the sub. Pretty good overall response.

Fxpmusic likes this.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    They’re great monitors for the price. The 5” model is better made than the 8” model and definitely the route I’d go if I were interested in LSRs despite the 8” being expensive. I was helping a friend research entry level monitors that still provided quality results, and these were consistently on the top of many lists.

I don’t know the specifics of your room, but if you want to get the most out of them you should elevate them to ear level, locate them as close to the front wall as possible and if possible spread/angle them to form an equilateral triangle with a spot just behind your head while in the mix position.

mapleglo likes this.
  3. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Thanks! You may be able to see in the pic, it's pretty tight on the desk. I have a bunch of guitars hanging on the wall behind it, so I can't move them back. But I could raise them up. Another option may be to get a couple of stands, take them off the desk, and move them back and further apart, which may achieve the desired results.

Thanks again for the tips.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It looked pretty tight in there. Ultimately monitors are always a game of “use the best placement your space can accommodate” and then learn them in that position. Even under less than ideal placement circumstances these will be able to deliver great results. They’re definitely a wonderful monitor, and that price is insane.

mapleglo likes this.
  5. cattrax

cattrax

Oct 17, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    That's a great price! I have the same monitors set up at ear level, equilateral triangle, close to front wall. They sound great, IMHO.

mapleglo likes this.
  6. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, when I saw the ad in the GC flyer, I knew I'd have to get a pair. They opened at 6:00 AM this morning, so I dragged my Husband to the store bright and early. It was actually still dark outside. Oddly enough, one of the monitors was bad right out of the box - it was making weird groaning sounds even with no input cable plugged in. But they took it back immediately and gave me another. Fortunately, GC is like a mile from my house.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Glad it worked out. I recently went back and forth with a monitor manufacturer over a bad unit and was ultimately never made whole. I sold them on the cheap and bought a set from another manufacturer. GC, despite people’s constant complaining, is great about returns.

mapleglo likes this.
  8. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
  9. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Some interesting basses on the front wall. A Ric-looking body with a Fender headstock? Another with a non-Ric headstock that I can’t identify. What do you have hiding back there? Looks like cool stuff!

mapleglo likes this.
  10. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yes, thanks, the Fenderbacker - a Ric body with a Fender neck. The build thread is here. On about page 16 or so, I start building that 6 string Ric style guitar, based loosely on the 480. There's also a 5 string Precision, the Leafenbacker, a Strat, and a Devil bass.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I read the Leafenbacker thread a while back. I’ll dig into the Fenderbacker one as well. Great stuff!

mapleglo likes this.