NND!!! New neck day? Big Block Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Fun little back story...

In 2004 I bought my first Fender Precision. It was a 2001 used Mexican P. Nothing special. I gigged with it for a few years through 3 different bands and eventually sold it for what I paid for it, $250.

I moved on to stingrays for a while. Then Jazz basses. Then back to P basses. Fast forward like 8 years, the guy I sold it to messages me and asked if I’d like to buy my bass back. He was done with music. So I got my first P bass back for $250!

Upon getting it back I noticed the neck was in bad shape. It was like he left it leaning up against a wall for a long time. No matter how much adjusting I did, I couldn’t get it to play right. So I started hunting a new neck. I ran across a Fender Big Block Precision neck on eBay for $375. Talked the dude down to $250 and it was delivered today. I’ve always wanted a paint matched and blocked precision bass and now I have one. This bass doesn’t get much play time because it’s going up against my custom shop, American Original 60’s, 62 Reissue, and many other assorted basses I’ve added to my collection. I do think this new neck (which feels great) and slick look will bring it into constant gig rotation.
    625A4865-5F5E-43E2-A40B-F5F1C22C68DC.jpeg

2. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Dope. Black with white pearl inlays is my favorite looking on stage bass. BUT, you also have the matching headstock which really sets it off. I'm jealous. Looks like a real players bass.

I'd add some black knobs to it also!

BBassBassington, MCF and MoeTown1986 like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi MoeTown1986 :)

Happy NBBNOOPBD! :D (New Big Block Neck On Old P Bass Day) :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Yep! Awesome! Rock it!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

4. DJ '65

DJ '65

Oct 16, 2015
    That looks pretty badass, very cool.

MoeTown1986 and Wisebass like this.
  5. I really dig it! Gonna keep the chrome knobs though. If I go black, I’d do all black hardware.

waynobass likes this.
  6. Hahaha that made me laugh.

Wisebass likes this.
  7. I dig it! More pics.
    68070186-539B-400F-9E63-BCF9D12B4AB5.jpeg
    75D6CEC9-2C18-4E7B-AD4A-0F563D8456E0.jpeg

Hoyt, DJ '65, BBassBassington and 6 others like this.
  8. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Nice. I'd actually really like a precision with that neck!!

9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    It was your thread title with the "?" after NND that made me grin.

Looked like another "I bought this, now please tell me it 's not ugly" or something like it thread. :laugh:

Really cool to see somebody who is happy with his stuff.

greetings

Wise

hieronymous and MoeTown1986 like this.
  10. It came off of a 2006 Fender big block. I don’t even remember them existing.
    204D5961-C39F-4F52-AC3A-477E9BC09B7F.jpeg

TheBlueFalcon likes this.
  11. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon

Sep 17, 2009
    Yeah, I searched Big Block after seeing your earlier posts, as it hasn't come up in any searches I've been doing for necks with black a headstock.

I think my ideal precision would be like yours, with a black pearl pickguard and black bridge, knobs and tuners.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Looks badd as heck.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    That is a sweet, sweet neck.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  14. That would be a sweet build!

TheBlueFalcon likes this.
  15. Feels great too! Nice C shape and no finish.

16. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Looks pretty tight! I remember the Big Blocks coming out, and they're neat, but that neck really suits your bass.

Flooflox and MCF like this.
  17. I think so too! I remember the black top series basses. But can’t for the life of me remember the big blocks.

18. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    They made them for a short time. You don’t see them often. The pickups had a nast growl to them

19. Looks like Fender took a stab at a stingray.

20. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    That bass definitely needs to be in rotation!

Wisebass and MoeTown1986 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021