Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NNOOOOOO!!!!!! Damage to my bass - broken nut!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lowender, Aug 11, 2005.

1. lowender

lowender

Aug 10, 2005
    Staffs, UK
    I have a bass it is a Aria Pro 2 stb bass (dating well into the 90's and bought in the uk) and somehow between last night when I last played it and now its taken damage, mark on the fretboard (bbbad!) second broken nut so now the e string sounds like a raspberry (it sounds funny but i dare anyone to come round my house and mock me as i'll have to file your face off and torture your family).
    not only am i fuming (believe me) i am lost as how to replace the nut (the fret board damage is another matter and no one I'm yet ready to come to terms to talk about).
    How do I replace the nut? its a p bass looking thing that plays fantastic (very jazz bass style - any one that hasn't checked it out i will dig out the model no they truly do play superb) with a pj pickup thing going on.
    What kind of nut do I buy.
    honestly i'm beyond gutted, i love the little bugger please help.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im assuming something or someone damaged it?

3. lowender

lowender

Aug 10, 2005
    Staffs, UK
    when I find out who nothing will save them!!
    i assume that the missus knocked it over or it fell over by natural means. the nut is bust in two rendering it currently unplayable.
    i don't know which nut to buy, this is terrible news.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buy a new bass :)

Not that its unrepairable

but take this as an omen from higher powers.

5. lowender

lowender

Aug 10, 2005
    Staffs, UK
    screw the higher powers man this bass was built by zeus himself. we've played some good gigs me and this beauty. I have played basses that cost quadruple as much and have all the fancy bullsh!t tagged on and the name and all that and they don't come close. that is a fact.
    i'm looking at buying a new bass anyways (for kicks) but i can't be without this one, its my main gigging piece o' kit.
    i'm not going to drop names but round my parts (where i live not the good stuff) i took a lesson with a name jazz man and he even said it was a great piece of bass.
    will a regular p-bass/jazz bass nut fit?
    Why is it guitar/bass techs charge the earth for a nut?
    talk about a kick in the knackers.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    1. Calm down, a damaged fingerboard is a much more serious issue than a broken nut. A broken nut is easily replaced.

2. Measure the width of the neck. If it's a typical jazz style bass then it will be 1.5 inches. Finding a replacement nut should be easy. Find one that is preslotted, and glue it in.

3. Do a search in the Setup forum. This topic has been covered pretty well.

7. nut replacement is easy...follow jive's advice...head off to setup and search...

Nut material? Anything but that cheap plastic...

If you want durability...go brass...get the nut width and then get thee to stewmac.com or guitarpartsresource.com or carvin.com or 100 other sites.

First thing I did when I built my parts bass was change the nut to brass. Took me all of 10 minutes to do.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That happened to me a couple decades ago... it was my first gig with a brand new bass. The nut broke and the E string went flapping right off the side. It was clearly defective because I hadn't whacked the bass or anything. No big deal... I simply used my backup bass.

The next week I brought the damaged bass to a local tech who replaced the broken plastic nut with one made of nylon. I'm not much of a DIY guy.

9. lowender

lowender

Aug 10, 2005
    Staffs, UK
    cheers all for the positive replies - excuse the slight over reation but I'd had a beer at the time of the fatal discovery!
    I am still gutted though. Cheers all.