Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NO, 15 inch speaker do kick ass!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I used to use a 4x10 cab with a hartke amp but for reasons untold, had to sell them both. I'm now using a Trace Elliot 1x15 combo amp, which admittedly, when I bought it and got it home I thought hmmm <I>what the hell have you done?</I>...

...Now however, maybe due to listening to more chili peppers stuff I'm starting to really dig that throaty sort of sound. Although I still have the amp set with the boggo smiley face eq setting, the size of the speaker (and lack of HF horn) gives me a more raw sound which I love (at least now).

The amp itself could do with being a bit more flexible in terms of sound but then I paid only half the RRP (and in the UK thats quite a deal).

I think what I'm trying to say is that <B><I>I'm a happy chappy!!</i></b>

Niggy

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good deal bro. I hope you make a buncha mucho-stylin' melodies with it. :)

I like my combo too as well, and can't imagine needing a huge rig for quite a while.

3. I agree...All I use is a single 15", but the last audition I was at(which I still have no idea if I got the job, I spoke to the lead singer recently and he said he will definately be in touch soon, 3 days ago, I have chewed off every finger nail and I was just looking at my toes.....)sorry about ranting.....
    But anyway, at the end of my last audition, after cutting through 8 12's of fuzzy guitar rock with my single 15, the guys had the Ball$ to ask if that is the only rig I will be using.....I said I plan on expanding, but what the hell do they want? I think my Buster did excellent.....I will expand eventually, but while playing bars and clubs, you can't beat a 15".......

4. Let's see... I run 2 1x15" cabs along with a single 2x10" cab on top. The 15" cabs sound tight and can get deep!:D

5. What 215 do you have?

6. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Geez, Big Rig mate!! Do you have a roadie or are you built like conan?! Nice Setup though; I think most people would have a big rig if it wasn't for the logistics of it!

Niggy

7. Now you can understand what a wife and two kids are for! :D My son is 22 so he's young enough. Besides, I have a little hand truck (dolly) that I use to move it around with. :D

Christos, my daughter wants to know where you got the smiley face turning into a bat from.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've been saying it for years. 15's are my weapon of choice. A very simple way to get a nice THICK sound.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

WAIT till you get to be an 18"ophile!!! ;)

(Actually, I haven't gone with JUST 18"s since I my Fender 400 PS and an old Acoustic that seeing Dennis Dunaway forced me to buy)

Glad you found love, peace and happiness with 15". They are great in a decent sized room.

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i love my 15, i just got it 2 or 3 days ago, its a peavey with a bw speaker, man added a whole lot of bass to my already bassy ampeg cab, i love it, cant wait to see what an 18 will do for it =)

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've been a 10 guy for a long time but I'm finding myself leaning toward a 115 from somebody like Aguilar. A 115 that is useable as a stand alone is becoming more interesting to me.

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I'm going to a single 15 setup very shortly... just bought a Bag End S15-D from zzounds.com on closeout for $349!! :cool: I plan to add the S15X-D (with tweeter) eventually. I considered the Aguilar but nobody around here stocks 'em, plus I couldn't resist that deal from zzounds...

I'll be using it with a Hartke 3500 ... I'll post a review once I get the rig up and running... But in the meantime, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :D