Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No Amp Gigs

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Miles Hanson, May 28, 2003.

1. This past Friday and Saturday I was lucky enought to land two trio gigs at a small deli/bistro consisting of guitar, trombone and bass. As if it wasn't enough fun playing with two great musicians (and friends) I didn't use my amp either night. I wish I could do that on every gig!!! It's not the first time I've played without an amp, it's just that I can't get over how much fun it was! The last gig I played without an amp was with a keyboard player who was using a 50 watt amp, that wasn't cranked up at all, and a lady at the party told us we were too loud!:D

Have any of you had a recent gig like this?

2. I've played a few accidentally acoustic gigs, where I forgot my cables, or forgot that my pickup was on a different bass. Another time the battery in my pre amp went dead, and the rest of the 4tet swore my amp was working, even though it wasn't. (And I sold that bass 6 months ago! It was an Arnold Schnitzer restoration.)The great thing about it is that it forces you out of your habitual ways of playing and makes you think - not a bad concept.

Eddie Hazell, the guitarist I worked with, once showed up at a gig with an empty case. Fortunately, Tal Farlow lived right nearby, so guess what he played?

3. The past few weeks on my regular Saturday night gig have been quiet and I have used the opportunity to play without my amp. I've been so happy! Last night my teacher came to see us and was sitting in the back of the joint and was surprised when I told him I wasn't using an amp. I guess my tone is getting better, cool!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've been doing that on my regular gig at the Four Seasons (piano duo, four nights/week). Lovin' it.

5. The one thing I worry about is when the crowd does get a little loud, so I bring my preamp and run into the pa for some support. It works well plus myself and the band only hear the bass, no amp. It's kind of like playing tunes without the real book, you just have to jump in and eventually you get it together.