No amp, live DI (non preamp)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Exemonium, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

May 13, 2010
    Hey all. I've been running my bass direct with in-ears for a little over a year now and was wondering if there is a change or upgrade that I can make. I currently have a Sansamp Para Driver at the end of my pedal chain, which I do not run engaged. It's just been ran passively as a DI for the front of house. I've never had any complaints from my sound guy(s) on my rig as is, but I like to do what I can and research tweaks. Also, one show I accidentally turned my Sansamp on, which I never want to happen again.

I'm not entirely sure how much the DI box actually effects the sound live. I don't know if anything would be a noticeable improvement from just running the Sansamp as I have been. Some thoughts were a couple of the tube DI's like Neve and Ampeg, The Radial JDI is another option. I'm thinking of something small, that I could just toss on my pedalboard.

2. Using the paradrive with the drive off is essentially an active DI so the closest sound would be an active Di. There are a lot of choices there but you really don't need to spend much money. Just go to your usual musical supplier and search active DI should be able to find something for under $50 that will be fine. If you want tube the ART Tube MP is basic and does a nice job. The JDI is a great box but it is a passive box with the famous Jensen transformed that is the industry standard.

sigterm and Jewce like this.
  3. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You could just get a good DI box instead. That way, you wouldn't risk flipping the switch again. Just a thought. I liked my para driver, but I realized, after a while, that it was throwing far too much sub frequencies out, and I don't have a Low Pass to add to it. So, alas it was one of my trade ins when I made my last gear upgrade. It had some great features though. I could tweak just about any sound I could ever want out of it. But yeah, if you aren't using it for anything but a DI, I'd just go with a good DI instead. Sell it to cover some of the cost too.

4. Exemonium

May 13, 2010
    Really? Even with the light off and no Eq it’s still active? Hmmm interesting, I didn’t know that. I thought it was just off. Isn’t there an active version of the radial JDI? Might that be a better option. The Jensen transformer is what my audio friends have mentioned to me which is why I’m looking into that one.

A basic box without the preamp portion is what I think I’m mostly looking for ... I think haha.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  5. Exemonium

May 13, 2010
    I agree. I think I’ve always preferred my tone with it disengaged, so it never made it on. I just used it to run direct. A basic DI box without a preamp or anything is ideal.
    Thank you

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    When the Para Driver is in bypass it is simply an active DI. It has a 4.7 megOhm input impedance and presents a balanced 600 Ohm low-Z output impedance to the mixer. With the Blend control turned off (CCW) the unit has no amp emulation and is just an active DI with tone control. If you're worried about engaging the pedal just leave the Treble, Mid and Bass at noon and the unit is flat response. The Drive control is not active when the Blend is turned off.

sigterm and Exemonium like this.
  7. Exemonium

May 13, 2010
    Thank you so much for this, I had no idea. Sometimes reading the manual can be a good thing haha! This could answer some of the questions I've been asked by my standard sound guy. I just assumed the knobs had zero effect when in bypass mode. Maybe that's all I need then. Many thanks!

8. What I am referring to is the method used or how the signal is transformed from high impedance to low impedance. I passive DI boxes like the JDI for example there is a transformer that converts the signal, there are many others that are in common usage and it is always good practice to have one of these in your tool kit in a pinch. Active DI use an active or powered circuit to convert the hi impedance signal to a low impedance signal like the ParaDriver, the Countryman Type 85 and a lot of other that may use a battery or be powered by phantom power. Both are useful and each have their advantages and disadvantages, fans and haters. There are many high end DIs, solid state and tube out there as well that can run into hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Exemonium likes this.
  9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    When the Para Driver is in bypass mode the controls don't work. When the pedal is engaged and the "Blend" is bypassed the Level and EQ controls work but not the Drive control. If you have a passive instrument you might want to consider the input impedance of the DI. With an active instrument that isn't as much of an issue.

Here is an article about DI's. A Direct Box can be in-DI-spensible - Support - Whirlwind

10. sisos

sisos

Apr 17, 2016
    [QUOTE = "tech21nyc, post: 21585990, μέλος: 174604"] Όταν το πρόγραμμα οδήγησης Para είναι σε παράκαμψη, τα στοιχεία ελέγχου δεν λειτουργούν. Όταν το πεντάλ είναι ενεργοποιημένο και η παράμετρος "Blend" παρακάμπτεται, τα στοιχεία ελέγχου στάθμης και EQ λειτουργούν αλλά όχι το στοιχείο ελέγχου Drive. Αν έχετε παθητικό όργανο, ίσως θελήσετε να λάβετε υπόψη την αντίσταση εισόδου του DI. Με ένα ενεργό μέσο που δεν είναι εξίσου σημαντικό.

Εδώ είναι ένα άρθρο σχετικά με DIs. Ένα Direct Box μπορεί να είναι in-DI-spensible - Υποστήριξη - Whirlwind [/ QUOTE]
    What the drive exactly do

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021