Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

no amp needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Jan 19, 2002.

1. I just recently auditioned for this church gig here in denver and got it. I had practice on wednesday- they told me that I only need my bass because they do in ear monitors for everything. I was kinda sad because I like to feel the bass. So I showed up wednesday and they had a stool set up fot me on a 4x4 platform. It was a vibrating platform. it was ssssoooo sweet- everytime I played a note my chest thumped and my gut rumbled, well I'm pretty skinny so it can't really rumble, but it was better than ANY amp system I have ever played through. and my tone was better than I have ever heard it. Has anyone else used these before?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wait, so the platform moved when you plucked at the strings:confused:
    :edit: I checked out that link. That is so cool. I've never heard of anything like that before. I really want to try one now!

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I saw Mark Chesnut resently (not really my bag but great show anyway), Bassist setup, 5 string stingray played in to a wireless. He also had in ear monitors and after the show, he said they worked great. He did mention he kind of missed his pants flapping. LOL Unfortunately the venues I play we don't have PA reinforcement that can handle the bass. :(

5. djbyron

djbyron

Jan 18, 2002
    Saratoga, NY
    Sounds like a cool concept! Our setup includes an Aguilar Preamp going direct to the PA. And dispite the fact that it sounds great to the audience, the bass player obviously suffers because of the headphone issue. I'm going to try and get one asap!!

I found them at MF !! Check em' out!

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    sounds like a rumble seat to me.
    search it up off the EA website.
    Sorry I'm too lazy to post the link

7. It was a regular stool that sat on top of a black platform that was about 6 in. high, 4ft. wide, 4 ft. long. The stool didn't vibrate- it was the platform. I could still feel it if I stood up on the platform but it was better sitting on the stool.
    it may have been homemade, at least it looked like it was. My pants WERE flapping, it was that powerfull. it was better than standing directly in front of 4 8x10's, but without the other bandmembers complaining.
    I will ask about it sunday and get back to you guys.

By the way michael rhodes (the bald skinny guy who endorses the EA rumble seat) played on my dad's album. just thought you might get a kick out of that.

8. The platform was homemade and they bought the vibrator from a pro audio store and screwed it to the bottom. check it out-

www.aurasound.com

scroll down- it looks like a smoke detector.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been playing in a very large church gig for a couple of years. In the big hall for the Sunday services, I don't use an amp. I plug my Bass POD Pro straight into the board. I don't have a vibrating floor, but I stand right over the subs. I get plenty of rumble. Tried in-ear. Couldn't deal with it. We are soon going to headphones, Each having our our mix with a controller right in front of us. Cool thing is, the footswitch with them allows the worship leader to mute his mic to the crowd, talk to us, and then go back to the audience. I'll definately report on this one after a few attempts.

chas

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    That's a great idea to use the buttkicker shaker to get that effect. Lots of large touring shows have gone to having no amps on the stage at all to cut down on the stage volume. Everyone is using in-ear monitors or headphones. I used to think it might make it difficult for the bassist and drummer to really hook up without being able to FEEL it. I found out that some of these acts put a subwoofer under the stage near where the bassist and drummer are to help with just that. They run that sub off a monitor mix with usually just kick and bass in that mix. I was first told about this by a buddy of mine that is Reba's monitor engineer, that's how they do it. It wasn't his original idea, he's just the one who educated me about it. In smaller venues the sub under the stage might not be an option, but using the shaker to get the same effect... I've got to try one now.

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Rumbling stages are cool, but with my rig, I like to shake the whole building!!!! Troed the in ear monitors, alot was lost in the translation IMO.

Mike

12. I went through headphones (they gave me a choice)
    it sounded REALLY good. They had shure everything and a country man DI. All I'm gonna say is that when I have my eden CRANKED and I sit in front of it or on it it can't even come CLOSE.

13. All power to those who can handle playing with headphones or in-ear monitors.

I think i'd rather give up bass than go without a stack behind me vibrating the hell outta everything... :D

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I'm with you Kiwi. You need a stack to rock the shack!!!

Mike:D :D :D