1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NO AMP rig (noob)!! What sould I use?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guish, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

Heyy TBers!!

Here's the thing! I own a simple rig! SVT VR, in a SVT 410 HLF with my Spector Rebop DLX! I'm really happy with it! (even though I'm still looking for a new cab) We are playing all kinds of rock! But mostly hard rock for our own music!

Now! My problem is! I need a rig that requires no amp at all! (for some gigs we got lately) But I don't have any clue where to start! I guess I need a good DI, a good pre-amp.. good pedals maybe? I'm really new with this stuff! So I'd like to have some ideas of where to start with all this! Like I said, I'm looking for a hard rock sound! Something that got balls like my SVT VR has!

Any suggestions?! Thanx a lot!!

(sorry for my english) ;)

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The simplest way is just to plug right into a mixer channel. It's not mandatory to use a DI if you are not using an amp.

3. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

Always though a DI was something necessary...! Anyway, I'm looking for the stuff between my amp and the mixer that would get me to the sound I want! Cause I'm pretty sure my bass in the mixer with nothing won't make the job!

4. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Your English is absolutely fine but the exclamation marks could get irritating .... :)

Direct into a mixer could be OK but mic and line inputs are lower impedance than instrument inputs. This will degrade the sound of a passive bass. If the mixer has instrument inputs then no problem.

5. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    some pedals and a preamp should do it...
    my zoom b2.1u does the trick when im not going to play with the amp...

6. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

Hahaha! Thanx! I won't do it anymore :p I would not want you to feel like I'm always screaming, hehe..

Would a good pre-amp be a solution here? I was looking for the Aguilar DB 680 anyway. I've seen a demo recently and the guy was getting a nice crunchy sound out of it!!

7. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    couldn't he just use the DI output of his SVT VR with no speakers connected?

8. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

I was also thinking about the Darkglass B3K and a good DI. But I'm not sure it'll get me to the sound I really want!

9. Look into getting a Line6 Floor unit; many choices of emulated mics, amps, cabs and effects.

D I-out to PA, headphone jack for silent practice. Aux in for jamming with radio, CD, etc.

10. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Tech 21 VT Bass is all you need.

11. No, tube amps have to have a load or they let the magic smoke out.

12. wonderjosh

wonderjosh

Nov 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    No.

13. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    First off, what sound are you looking for? The same type of sound you get from your rig?

The issue with running a dirt pedal like the BK3 straight into a DI is that the DI will let all of the frequencies of your bass through it. All of those super high frequencies with distortion on them usually come out sounding very shrill and unflattering.

I would suggest to start with a DI and go straight into the board. Trust that the soundman knows what he is doing and will give you the best tone possible for the FOH sound.

If you want an Ampeg tone, you could grab a SansAmp of some sort amongst many other options. It depends how much you want to spend.

14. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
  15. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

That was useful, thanx!! But it brings me news questions, hehe. Should I get a really good DI (Avalon U5, REDDI DI), considering that I would no longer have an amp? Or any DI would make the job?

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It depends on the sound you want (which you still haven't mentioned) and how much you want to spend.

Do you "need" an expensive DI? No.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the Darkglass B7k... it is basically an upgraded B3k (which is awesome, I have never got some many tone compliments) with more control over the effect and a D.I. built it.

Sounds like what you're looking for, no?

18. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

I want a sound as close as possible to my VR! Which means, that has tone, and that can get crunchy when I play hard. I want a hard rock sound, i use a lot the overdrive.. damn, it's hard to write in words a "sound".. hehe!

19. Guish

Guish Supporting Member

That seems like a good solution! Thank you. I would have to try it, seriously, thanx!