No Amp!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I go to other peoples houses all the time with my bass, but sometimes I really wanna practice when everyone else is getting drunk, what can I do without an amp. I was thinking I could probably develope some pretty decent Slap chops because of this no amp dilema!! What are some good Slap instructional books tape out there that I could look at?

Any additional suggestions from you guys/gals are more than welcome!
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would suggest a headphone amp and a decent headphone.

Most of the people I've heard comment about playing with no amp don't recommend it.

It seems that one can develop bad techniques when you can't really hear what you're doing.

By the way, welcome to TB.

3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I would agree with Pkr2 - if you're just starting out, you don't want to practise bad technique just because you can't hear yourself. This might sound like a bit of a whiny comment, but maybe other people's houses aren't the best place to practise - I'm sure they'd rather you didn't work on your slap chops there.

Anyway, as far as educational resources go, I can't really help you too much because I don't slap, but as I say to most people, and should have quite a few slap lessons each on them - which might be a good place to start.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 contraire.
    The only downside I've experienced by practicing sans amp is getting re-accustomed to LOUD volumes(which takes about 1-2 weeks).