Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

no bass!?!?!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by old_skool, Aug 7, 2001.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    today me and my mom got into an argument.....cant really remember what about....not important really, anyway she threatened to.....to take away my bass. i was soooo scared, i had to do exactly what she said. i think shes found my weakness. anybody else's parents torture them like this?

2. mine used to. we got in a fight and they said that they'd take it away. i told them that was bull%^&*, that I had a gig. they said the usual, "don't like it, then move out!" so i moved out. 17 and living on my own for the sake of the music...

3. My singer has this problem with literally everything. His folks scream about his studies, about his clothes, about his friends, about his phonecalls. Feel sorry for him.

They threaten to kick him out and he wants to leave. How did u go about it? Did u have to rake a lot of money up first? Ya see my singer when he hasmoney spends it on stoopid things like loads of cds and collector comics.

Merls

4. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Did you buy your bass or did they? If you bought it then they can't really do anything. But if they bought it you did the right thing. My parents did that but after a while I think that they will feel guilty for threating to take away something that you love so much. My parents did that with everything, and it was over totally useless crap. Like cutting the grass or cleaning my room. That did not warrant that kind of ultimatium. I'm glad that college came and I don't have to deal with it anymore. Except i'm going back home in september so I'll be putting the gloves back on for a short time :(

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    And who is paying for college?

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i have always paid for my basses :)

they actually leave my bass alone, i hope they don´t find that "weakpoint"

7. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Actually me and them. So it will fall mostly on my shoulders. But I am trying to get scholarships so that cost will be minimal.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    My parents said once that I had to leave my bass at home during finals, and I felt MISERABLE and failed two classes! ..I don´t think that was because of the lack of bass, but it´s still a darn good excuse!

9. my parents had bought it for christmas. when i left i lived in this sh%thole with a friend for a while.. while i saved up money to get a real place. one paycheck covered everything i needed to move. i just kinda got lucky

10. My parents gave me my bass as a birthday present. It's a Squier P-bass and a littl 15w amp. I later bought my 75w combo. Then I bought new pickups. Then I bought paint and matched the headstock to the body. Then I bought an Ampeg 4x10. Then I bought my SVT3-PRO. So now only the bass body, neck and hardware belong to my parents. :D I'm going to buy my StingRay soon then I'll have nothing they can touch... Mwah ha ha! ..(or... something like that)

11. a stingray is what i plan on getting next. my ibanez just doesn't go well with the band i'm in

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I guess I've been lucky in having parents that support music. They got me started on the flute in 3rd grade and bought my first bass in middle school. My dad's always asking how my band's going and even buys me new strings when I ask him to. I feel kind of guilty about the strings though so usually I buy them myself. My dad's always telling me I have to buy him a house in Hawaii when I become a rich rock star though. I guess that would be fair.

13. Stangg

Stangg Guest

my parents can't, because the bass is his(i still need the money for a new one.)

14. kasuals

kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    My parents respected what I did as well.

They always have provided me with the support I needed. They don't always like the whole band thing, because we do tend to party a bit... but they respect my determination.

Can't say they like the music though. They have gotten a bit weak in their old age ;)

I dunno what I'd do if I lost my bass... I woke up this morning realizing that I had left it at my lead guitarists house... and I'm itchin'... :)

Withdrawals suck.

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    skool is gunna be the worst! right now i can pick up my bass whenever i want but when skool starts....i dont want to think about it. withdrawals are gunna be hard.

16. well, on the purchase of my bass a few weeks ago, my mom only gave me $40 as did my cousin...my cousin really wants me to do good in school, and since i got a 3.75 gpa(despite 2 ap classes) he was glad...the rest i earned doing stuff around the house and working with an uncle...from which i also got enough money to get my amp on sunday...my mom doesnt really mind me playing, but my dad insists that i take guitar lessons first and whatnots...i insist i only take bass lessons if i take them at all...but besides that, my parents dont mind the bass...if they ever do ground me, it'll be my computer rights...

piece out...

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My mom threatened to take away my band practice...or more accuratly, the "teen" car (which was a gift from my grandmother, and really only used by myself), inhibiting bad practice. But only twice. Once when it just started, and she said if my grades slipped, and another when I didn't want to wash the car, even though I would be going down a few dirt roads on the way to practice (yes It got dirty, therefor invalidating her arguments). I own my bass and my amps, so she can't threaten to take them. Other than that, I've been cool...

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Best thing to do is not piss off your parents. And if you have a 4.0 GPA, you'll be able to get out of a couple chores, too.

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    My mom took away my bass fo a month, when i got it back, i played for 6 hours straight, the messed up thing is, i bought the bass

20. well...all the gear i have has been purchased by myself, so there's no prob there...