Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

no bottom!!!!! hey!!!! i'm pissed!!!!! you!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    why in the world does my 10 year old peace of crap peavey 1x15 combo have more bottom that my GK 800RB and GK 1x15 RBH????????

i put them side by side today.

obviously the GK sounds better but it has less bottom WHY!!!!

i'm pissed :crying:

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Its more treble focussed? I've realized this with my 1001RB-II and 115RBH, so I boost the bass a bit, and use a Boss EQ. It pretty much solved my problem. Try boosting low mid a bit more.

~Patrick

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    GK stuff is engineered to really crank the mids, not the bottom. Plus, it's a more modern, hi-fi, sound than your 10 year old Peavey. Basically that means lots of mids, plenty of highs not a whole lot of bottom cuz bottom doesn't cut through as well. Fuggit.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hmmmmmm where can i get more bottom?

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The most simplistic way is probably an EQ. Outside of that.... you could pick up a simple processor with Cabinet Modeling. I can tweak so many aspects of my sound with a BP50.

6. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I would add another cab to kick up the power a bit. I wouldn't think your setup is that modern since your amp design is 20+ years old! I like the preamp idea too-get an Aphex Bass Xciter-bottom forever!

Lync

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The reason the older Peavey seemed to have more bottom is the fact GK cabs roll off at 50 hz.This means it does not reproduce frequency below 50hz. deep deep bass resides below 40hz but as someone said above that does nothing for the mix especially when volume gets louder. Deep bass is what all bassist want to hear but when you have other instruments (especially a keyboard players left hand) the deep stuff gets muddy. Imho GK amps are meant to hold down the bass frequencies and not the sub bass stuff, also GK's are very articulate amps with emphasis (sp) on clarity throughout it's tonal spectrum and not just lows. Just my .02 cents

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Another thing Iv'e noticed with many cabs, when you are on stage and you sound like you are muddy the audience does'nt have a clue what you are playing! Bass frequency takes time and distance to develope. What you hear on stage is not what's heard out there. I play with a 1001RB 2x10 combo w/1x15RBH cab for big stuff and have never been asked or told to turn up the bass. I play with my bass knob at 3 o'clock and my boost between 9 an 12 o'clock that's it. What sounds slightly thin on stage fills out in the crowd.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ^ +1
    that said............
    isn't it funny when ya have all this great gear and then you plug into some old peice of crap and it sounds better????
    just makes you want to say "oh ephew seakay!!!!"

10. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I second the Aphex Bass Xciter - I have the little Bergie 1X12 cabs. All of the reviews say they have great focus, but are not as deep sounding as other cabinets. I use a bass Xciter and my rig is now very deep, and huge sounding (while still focused) :cool:

11. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    the peavey 115 combo must not be that bad if its still kicking out all that bottom!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A sansamp BDDI would also help. It would warm up the sound a bit too. I use mine with a 1001 head, and an eden cab. It's rolloff starts at 62 Hz. So I feel where you are coming from with no bottom.

13. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    +1 I use the SABDDI along with my Aphex to add warmth, depth and juice to my tone while maintaining clarity (I use an SWR head)...

14. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I noticed that the peavey combo in my rehearsal room also has considerable low end, I tought that fossile would start to fart as soon as I plucked below E, but helds up perfectly, a bit muddy but it shakes the booty.

15. 'cos peavey's better :D :p , i have a mark 3 head (chs300) and its one of the best heads ive ever played, especially with an eden 115xlt :D , i even played a mark3 combo yesterday and it was awesome...how come people have horrible thoughts on the older peavey stuff? i think its the best gear ive ever heard, and the most reliable, i mean my mark3 still runs perfectly, and i was at a gig not long ago and the bassist had a mark 4 and it fell off his cab while he was playing and nothing happened, it didnt miss a beat and ran perfectly the rest of the night

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Your ears may be fooling you. Peavey combos tend to put out a lot of low midrange which makes them sound deep next to a cab that is less colored but actually goes deeper. Boosting EQ at 150-250 Hz will make a lot of cabinets sound "deep" although that's two octaves above the lowest fundamentals!

Your ears will also perceive a sound with more upper mids and treble as having less low end although that may not be the case. Good sound men will always use EQ to remove what they don't want (i.e. cut mids or treble) rather than boost what they do want (i.e. boost bass).

Your open A string has a fundamental of 55Hz which means that only the notes below open A (on a 4 string that's G#, G, F#, F and E...add D#, D, C#, C and B for 5/6 strings) put out anything below 55 Hz anyway! We worry so much about stuff below 50 Hz when in fact most of the time you aren't putting anything out that low, not to mention that the tone of the bass is a lot more than just the fundamental...it's the upper harmonic content that gives your sound it's character.

I would NOT go adding extra boxes to that GK rig, it has the potential to deliver more low end than you would know what to do with. I'd fool with EQ more and maybe consider trying different cabinets that are colored more to your liking.

17. You don't need to add more gear to get more bottom. The GK amp has a 4/5 string button. Press that in and it will extend the low end response. Also, the GK amp and cabinet tend to be bright. Turn the treble down to about 9 oclock and the high mid to about 11 oclock. Set the bass to about 1 or 2 oclock. Make sure to keep the boost at 12 oclock or higher.

It's incorrect to say that the cabinet does not produce frequencies below 50hZ. the rolloff BEGINS at 50hz and does 30hz at about -6dB or something like that. In fact the cabinet will produce 20hz, just not nearly as efficiently as it does say 100hz. That's why you can give it a +10dB boost at 20hz with the 4/5 string button and get extended low end.

18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    he's got the 800rb, which doesn't have the 4/5 string switch (i never thought i'd see the day when I was correcting Daniel Elliott ;) ). The eq on those amps is pretty versatile though- try working with it. i used to play a 400rb thru an ampeg 1510 (no tweeter) and was NEVER hurting for low end.

19. Oh yeah, Guess I missed that. The 800RB is pretty much a midrangy amp. Go get the 700RB so you can have the 4/5 string button

20. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've owned 2 800RBs and 2 400RBs. They can produce plenty of bottom. The contour buttom boosts at 40hz. Turn that on and cut the highs if they're too much. If the contour scoops too much of the midrange then add some back with the low mids and/or high mids. The bass EQ boosts at 50 or 60 hz so it won't do as much for your E string as the contour.

If you want nothing but bottom then use the 800RB in bi-amp mode. Make sure the speaker is plugged into the "low" output. Press the bi-amp button and adjust the amount of mids you want with the crossover. You'll be booming big time.