Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

No clean Jaco style for me, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Well I thought that I could go "Jaco-style" with my Jazz.. but when I took off the pickguard I discovered that it was not possible.. since the routing was not drilled as i thought it would be on MIA's? :confused: Disaster! No clean Jaco style for me.. :(

Anyone else with this problem?:confused:

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    nope... :p

3. Bugger.. the problem is that the routing grooves are milled and not, as I wanted, drilled. I guess I'm stuck with a pickguard for the rest of my life. :mad: But the bass still sounds good, and thats all that really matters, right?:D

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    paint the pickgaurd, i think they sell 'wood coloured paint' at diy stores ..which reminds me of the time my dad asked one of my friends to nip into a diy store and ask for 'a tin of tartan paint', quality!:D

or forge one out of a similar wood, make it wafer thin and bobs yer uncle!:D

ps nice bass zomby ;)

5. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I worked in a local factory during my school holidays and I was sent to get " a new bubble for the spirit level".

Asked for it as well.

Shopkeeper told me to p**s off.

6. Well what I really wanted to know was if all the MIAs had this stupid (but cost effective milling) done to them. It sucks. Nice one there Zomb!

7. In no way am I a master of other dialects (or queen's english), but I've never...ever heard/read anyone saying bob's yer uncle...what in the world does that mean????? Lol.

8. Bob's yer uncle: Colloquial expression of acheivement. Once Bob is your uncle, the job is done.

Famous enough to have been twisted to other ends, hence the expression "Snip snip and Bob's your auntie."

:)

9. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    The MIA's and the MIM's both have the funky route... BTW... What on earth is the single hole in the center for?

the bright spot is that the MIM 60's classic Jazz is not routed funky... you can take the pickguard off... put it on... take it off. you get the picture

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL

A friend of mine told me that on his first summer job doing construction, the workers had him running all over the site looking for a brick stretcher.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I once sent my 18 YO stepbrother up to the auto parts store for a piece of fallopian tube...

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    LOL

I have a story thats not exactly along the same lines, but close enough.

When I first started roller hockey and my team was picking its numbers some friends told me to pick 69, and I didnt even think twice. I figured it was the number of some famous hockey player, and didnt even realize what was going on.

Of course when we got out jerseys, my mom wasnt thrilled.

Peace
    Nick

13. Well, not quite! After all Jaco's bass didn't have the rout between pup and pots did it?

Earlier - I'm thinking before the 70's - Jazz's had the full body but I could be entirely wrong on the time frame. My 2 MIJ 62 re-issues have a full bodies. One was made in 1989-90 and the other is a 1995-96 model.

14. Yes, what on earth is that hole doing there? What is it good for? Perhaps some switch utility for the DIY mods. It's quite easy to drill a hole between the hole and the cavity for some serious cables.. or something?! Too bad they don just mill out the cavities for the pickups and the controls and leave the wood in between! BTW why is the neck pickup milling twice as big as the bridge pickup milling? Perhaps a humbucker will fit in the slot... :eek:

15. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    no... I meant that the 60's classics were solid, only the PU's routed, no connecting route to the control cavity...

it's a poor man's jaco.

ek

16. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Hey what model is jaco's fender is like an american or something because, when i take my pickguard off it all the extra space and stuff and looks really bad without it mines a delux active jazz Fender.

17. I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying - English being my second language and all - but, yes, Jaco's Fenders were made in USA, like all other pre 1980-something Fenders.

18. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I tried the same thing whith my Mexi Jazz. I unded up cutting the pickguard in half and now my bass looks like Fender's version of an SG bass.

19. mad_world

mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    What i was basically asking is are all the 1980's american jazz basses like that when you take the pickguard off, i have a delux active jazz and the pickup cavity's and stuff have a lot of extra room around them so they don't look good without the pickguard.

20. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    that of all the modern jazz basses (say post '85) have the channel routed from the pickup to the control cavity.

The exception is the 1960's Classic Jazz that is currently being produced. They are the more expensive mexi jazz basses with the reverse tuners, era correct pickups and 3 tone sunburst finishes... they sell new at GC for around $650.