No clue about what bass to get...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jiant., Dec 25, 2004.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm thinking either a Stingray or a Gibson Grabber. I have really no way of playing either locally, but I do make trips to NC every now and then, so I could go to a shop while down there. It'll still be awhile before I get the cash for a new bass, but I need to know what both of these can offer me. I play melodic rock/ very little punk with a slight metal edge. Think a toned down version of Thrice. Just let me know what you think. Thanks and God Bless! -Brad
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingray is awesome.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Personally I'd go with the Stingray.. I've never played a Gibson bass I liked..

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I owned a Gibson Grabber many moons ago.

Get a Stingray.
  5. RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Stringray. Artists of all genres play that bass. So it must be very versatile.
  6. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Eddie from Thrice is the reason I went looking for a Grabber, but I think his grabber is an exception to the rule, they are very cool looking basses but the ones I played are nowhere near ed's tone, unfortunetally. He plays in drop C I believe, the grabber is extremally bright, almost guitar like, so I think that evens out the darkness of his tone, but he uses some effects and he runs through an SVT (on the thrice webpage under bio, I think, it says what he uses) - I think for your type of music a stingray might be better, mind you it depends alot on what kind of sound your looking for, it sounds like we're into the same music so feel free to PM me, I'm looking for a few basses too and I can help you out, the stingray is nice sounding but for what I want, it's not deep enough, I need something deep muddy but powerful, I've done alot of research looking for the perfect bass so like I said drop me a pm and we can compare some of our finds
  7. What basses have you tried and eliminated? Just curious.

My only concern about the grabber or ray is versatility. If this is going to be your only axe, then you don't want a one trick pony.

But if it was me and I really wanted a MM, I would get one of those bongos. Those are really cool looking and are supossed to be fairly versatile.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i agree with angelopb about versatility. personally i would get a sterling. the series/paralell/single coil switch on that gives a ton more tones than the 'ray. And dude, steer clear of gibson, especially now a days. I know tons of dealers who could tell you horror stories.
  9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I really love the sound of the Music Man four string basses. They can be really funky and rock as well. I don't think of it as a one trick pony. They play well and have lots of low end for the money.
  10. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Grab yourself a Grabber and enjoy. Two words for you: sliding pickup! These are a great bass and I have gigged mine. They have an aggressive sound, but you can get lots of variety with the tone and the p-up. It will be much lighter that the MM. Plus, they have the vintage mojo and the "What's that?" factor. I waited over a decade to get mine, so I'm a little partial.
  11. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories