1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No clue what kind of fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PJ all day, Sep 29, 2008.

1. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    i have a very old fender PJ but i really have no clue what the model or year is if i recall correctly its either a 61 or 74, It has no pickguard and it is rear routed could anyone help me figure this one out

2. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    pictures?

Does it still have the serial on the headstock anywhere? What about a date stamp on the neck in the neck pocket?

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If you have a P/J, and it's rear routed, it's neither a 61 nor 74.

Post pics.

That will help figure out what it is.

4. Sounds like one of the first Precision Specials, possibly like the Duff McKagan sig. that's a reissue of a 80's model.

5. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    That's what I was thinking.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There were a couple models in the '90's (maybe '80's??) that fit that description. More info needed for a more accurate answer, but DEFINITELY not anything from the '60's or '70's.

7. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I think early '80s were the first PJs, -that I've seen (I'm no expert). Unless its a horribly modded early P. I'll bet it's got a letter (E) before the ser. on the headstock.

8. Sounds like a warwick thumb bass to me.

9. The Duff is a close semi-copy/reissue of the Jazz Bass Special(google for lots of info), not the Precision Special, a completely different bass.
    But the bass in question is very unlikely to be anywhere near 61/74 vintage if it's a(stock)PJ and/or rear-routed.

10. PJ all day

PJ all day

Sep 29, 2008
    I believe it may be a P or J special, but the neck is worn down form play wear the fender logo is barley there and there is no serial # on the headstock. Maybe i will take the neck off when i change the strings tomorrow