Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

no clue what size tuner pegs to buy...please help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 20, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I bought a moses neck and i need to ascertain which size of tuner pegs to buy for it. I measured the holes and they are "roughly" 50mm or 2 inches. I assume that tuner pegs come in standard sizes, but i have no clue what size tuner pegs to buy that correlates with the 50mm holes.

Any idea?

:help: :)

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The holes are 2" across!! :eek: need a photo :eyebrow:

3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    yeah that has to be a mis-measurement. There definetly are not any tuning pegs with a 50 mm diameter. It should be more like 14-20 mm.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    well it seems to me they are. could you suggest how i might measure them properly? what i did was use a peice of string, place it around the upper part of the hole so its even as possible, and then keep cutting it shorter until the two ends of the string meet and are flush. then i measured the string and came up with roughly 50mm or 2 inches in diametre.

the guy who sold it to me said he used hipshot ultralights on it. what size are those?

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass

:confused: That's not a diameter. What you did was measure the circumference. Just get a ruler and measure across the hole. No string required. If the previous owner used Hipshots UL's you'll probably find something like 9/16" diameter holes. Gotoh or Gotoh style tuners should also work.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    d'oh! :bag:

anyway, i re-measured as suggested and came up with roughly 17mm which means the holes are 11/16. Is 11/16 the standard size for domestic basses?

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That would require a large Fender style clover leaf tuner. Since you said the neck had a previous owner how many small screw holes are in the back of the headstock per tuner hole? If there are four small screw holes around each tuner hole and given that hole is 11/16" it's doubtful the previous owner had Hipshot UL's installed unless he used sleeves or something.

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What you want is a caliper capable of measuring inside diameter (aka "I.D.").

I'm not sure about ALL Hipshots ULs, but the ones StewMac sells are 9/16".
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass/Hipshot_Ultralite_Bass_Tuners.html

I'm not sure is 11/16" is domestic or imported or what, but StewMac sells Schaller tuners that should fit those holes. Here's a link: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass/Schaller_Bass_Machines.html

9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    there is only one screw hole per tuner. i am sure the hole is 17mm /// 11/16. so that means the peg is 1/2 correct? thanks for the stew mac links, but i really want the grover "y" style and i want them to be black as my goal is to make the whole bass black.

any other ideas / retailers where i could get such tuners?

thanks!

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That's odd. The one screw hole would match up with HS UL's or Gotoh style sealed tuner, but all the HS UL's I've used only require a 9/16" hole. If the other guy used them they must have been floopping around all over the place or he used a sleeve of some kind. I don't know of any Y tuners that fit 11/16" holes properly.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Now that you mention it, the 11/16" UL's do look familiar.

I don't know.