Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

no clue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryan morris, Oct 19, 2000.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i have no clue what to do. i have about $400 and i don't know if i should go for a crate bfx50, or 100. i love the sounds they have programmed in them. OR should i get a great sounding ampeg combo and buy a nice multi-effects pedal OR save even more money up for nice head and cabinet, with a nice multi effects pedal. i want something that could get me through some real nice "hard jazz" stuff in a real small club type setting. but i also need something for my room, a bit more power than my small peavey. I just don't know what to buy or buy first. i have no clue. any suggestions would be cool.
    later

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Check out an Ampeg BA-115. Every time I go to a music store that has one, I fire it up. I really like this combo. However, I don't need a combo amp, but if I did, I would get the BA-115 without hesitation.

As for effects... ...I'm down to using a Boss chorus for about 4 songs per gig, so you'll have to determine how much use you'll get out of effects and spend your money accordingly.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't think that effects are very important - I've never used one in 14 years (maybe I'm just ignorant)
    But even if you like effects, I would first buy a good combo, than look for effects.
    BTW: For what I've heard, onboard effects are often crap, or close to it. So pedals seem to be the better way.
    Another idea: The better your amp sounds, the less you need effects to cover the weekness of the amp - just a guess.

Conclusion: First things first - make yourself heard.

Matthias

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    N offense but all of the crate amps i've tried that have the onboard effects suck majorly. For $400 save up alittle more & get either an ampeg combo or for some more cash get a head + cab. thats all hope ya find what u want.

5. about the saving up for head+cab...

If your anything like me, your gonna need to save for awhile. You wont be saving "just a little bit more." you'll be saving a lot more. If you go with the head+ cab and want it to be possibly the last amp you'll ever have to buy, then you're gonna be saving for awhile. I started with $500 and thought i was gonna get a 100w combo amp to replace my 50 w amp. then i read that 50 isnt that much of a differance. then i decided to save up a bit more and get a SWR Workingmans 15 (200w) then i heard that those tend to sound a bit muddy. then fender came out with the bassman 400 (350w) and thought i'll get that, so i saved up $1,000 then i read that those are nice, but fenders reputation with bass amps is horrible, and i dont have the money to take a risk with them, so i decided i'll save up for an amp and head. now i'm up to $1,400 saved up, and trying to get to $1,800 for an ampeg svtIII and either a Eden d-xlt410 or Ampeg pr410 cabs.

what does all of this mean??!? dont rush into buying your amp. cause you might change your mind, or decided that you need somthing different, or need more power. if i had fell into my urges back when i had the $500 i probly would be very unhappy with my 100w combo amp, instead of not waiting untill i get the money for the last amp i'll probly never need.

about the effects... i say their fun, but you rarely find a place for them. i have a zoom bfx-708, and wish i never bought it, now the input jack has got some problems. if i had just saved that money, i would have more money in my "amp" fund.

beware of the gimmies... i havnt even saved up enough for my amp, and i already want a new bass... Fender MIM P-special...mmmm cant wait.

6. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    hey thanks for getting back to me with your opinions. i just don't want to waste my money. i know that with my job, a chef at a nice rest., and my tight pocket i can save up for something real nice. i was even thinking about going for an older tube head. i used to play one in high school for jazz band and loved it. well, anyways, i am goin' to keep thinking and looking. thanks for your info. keep it rollin' in if ya' got it. later