Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

no clue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Mar 9, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    i dont really know what are good pickups...what the difference is and stuff

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks for sharing...

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That is a very loaded and very opinioned question!:eek: A lot of it is just personal preference as far as what soudns good to you and good for a certain style. I would recommend doing a thread search on the following:

Music Man pups (alnicos)
    Jazz Pups
    Humbuckers
    P pups

Those are the most common. For a quick crash course though, here ya go-

Music Man pups tend to have a good midrange sound and cut through well, and are pretty popular for louder more aggressive styles like punk, but are well suited to a wide range of styles.

Jazz pups also have a very good midrange, but often not quite as much bottom as, say, Humbuckers or P pups. (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) Jazz pups can be used in many applications- versatile sound.

Humbuckers (my personal fav) are possibly the most versatile of the the common configurations because they can dial in everything from a fat bottom end to a crisp high. They are also very comfortable thumb rests :D

The P pup is extremely popular. P's ahve a distinctive soudn that I can;t quite describe-they have a ncie cutting midrange with good fat bottom end and can be seen in just about any style of music. I always have trouble defining the P sound.

The best thign for oyu to do would be go to a music store and try out a bass with each kind of pickup style and experience them for yourself! :)

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    :D :D :D Ha ha ha ha ha!

Seriously though, this question is the epitome of Talkbass.com. Don't feel silly for asking it, but look around and you will learn, young grasshopper.

1)Active vs. Passive pickups: Passive pickups are an electromagnet, plain and simple. They are magnets with a coil wrapped around and when a string passes through the field, the coils send a signal to an output that BLAH BLAH BLAH makes a noise. Active pickups are passive pickups with an internal preamp that require battery power to shape the signal.

2) Pickup designs: See previous post.

3) Pickup brands: There are a bunch... EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Aero, Kent Armstrong, Lane Poor (out of biz), Villex, just to name a few. They all have different designs and if you search well enough, you can read what the strengths and weaknesses are here on Talkbass. Best bet is to play them and develop an opinion yourself because my "crap" could be your "sweet."

And even though you didn't ask, I'll mention variables:
    1) Preamps: Onboard systems that shape the signal from the pickups. Powered by a 9v battery. These can change bad pickups into okay enough pickups. They are common on newer designs of basses.
    2) Placement: There is the P position, the MM position in most single PU basses. In dual, they can be very close together or far apart, the tone changes when they are at different spots. Just read, you'll understand.
    3) Passive tone controls, variables: Changing the volume knob or the capacitor inside a passive bass can change the tone based on resistance. This is more advanced, but realize that you will eventually learn it or hear about it.

5. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    thanks for your big explanation ...i have my question answered...i guess this is the end:bassist: