No coutry means NO COUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Mar 10, 2006.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Ok, here's the back story. I started playing bass again recently after a hiatus of several years. I would really like to find a band to play with, so I put an ad in craigslist. I say, very clearly in my ad:

-I have a full time job, so I am not looking to "make it."
    -Looking for adults to play with
    -I am not interested in playing country.

The last one is fairly important. I live outside of Nashville, so most of the ads you see are for country bands or country singers looking for bands. Most claim to "have connections" and want to "make it." Because I don't like country, I wanted to make that perfectly clear upfront.

So far, I have gotten 4 responses, which is pretty good for a weeks time. However, one of those was a "songwriter" looking for someone to help record his demo (for free) and two others were for COUNTRY BANDS. One of the two called and told me they were a mix of rock, blues and a little country. I made it clear that I wasn't interested in country, and he agreed that they would do very little country. They are a cover band, so I asked him to send me a song list. The list had 10 songs by 7 different artists, including:

George Strait
    Garth Brooks
    Kenney Chesney
    John Anderson
    Jimmy Currington

I had to go listen to these on iTunes, because I wasn't familar with any except Garth. These artist are about as country as you can get. Good, old fashion country.

Has anyone else had this experience in seeking a band? Am I just asking for it with the craigslist ad?
  2. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

It's bad everywhere. I posted ads looking for a progressive metal band, one which "doesn't need to sound like Disturbed or the next big metalcore or post mallcore act and isn't afraid to break rules [musically speaking]." Every single response I got was a metalcore band, and the ones who claimed that they were the "only" original act in Chicago were the same as above but included a third rate keyboardist.

I also posted that I'm in it for making the best music possible and am NOT looking to make a career out of music or make "assembly line" music, and I got an ad which told me, "Just like you, we're looking to go all the way to the top and will stop at nothing to get there." When do these people learn? It's hard responding back with a polite "no thank you" to most of these people.

[add:] Also posted that I was not a troublemaker, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't drink, don't participate in permiscuous sex, and don't want that to be part of my "gimmick". Every band that contacted me featured at least one of the above in every song.

That's pretty much why I have little faith in craigslist when it comes to finding bands. You might want to try the myspace classifieds, partially as identities cannot be hidden by posters.
  3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Nothing wrong with doing a little country - diversity is good. Makes you a more well-rounded player. Who knows - some day you might be in need of the money a country gig could provide, especially around Nashburg. Think of it as an exercise in self-discipline. I play country all the time. In country, the supporting role of the bass is even more important than in other genres. Nothing wrong with that. Your game can be to sneak a cool lick in here and there, while keeping the right feel throughout. It's harder than you might think. I find it very entertaining.

On another topic, have you ever seen some of those fine girl singers in country? Sara Evans and Shania Twain spring to mind. Nothing wrong with playing country! It doesn't make you a hick.

But hey, if you can't stand it, just say No Thanks! There are plenty who'll take the gig.
  4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I don't think he needs to nor is looking to support himself playing bass in such a way, at least from what I can tell. I know where he's coming from in that he wants to do something he enjoys while playing bass if he's not getting anything monetarily out of it, even if its slim. This comes from a bassist who does enjoy playing country.

However, to cognito, stick with it if you can, you'll find a band you like. If not, my "main" project is actually a one man something-like-a-post-metal-band-firing-on-one-cylinder with me just playing bass and singing, and I jam elsewhere when I have time just for fun. There's also the online jam sessions and recording projects you could check out (I've seen it somewhere on these forums). Just because there's a lack of people around you doing what you want to do doesn't mean your options are exhausted.
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would imagine that a good-part of this 'problem' is that good Bassists are so hard to find. Some bands are desperate!

6. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

See, this is the problem. I have a professional, full time job. I am not doing this for the money, nor do I have any intent of becoming a professional. I want to have fun. Simply put, I don't like country, I don't like listening to it and I don't like playing it. It has nothing to do with "not wanting to look like a hick", I simply don't like that type of music. There are a number of different types of music I don't like, but I specifically referenced country because it makes up 75% of the music scene in Nashville. If I don't enjoy playing music, then I am not going to play.

It just amazes me that when I state, quite clearly, that I don't want to play country, all I get is country bands.
  7. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This seems to be the case. While there are a few bassists seeking work on craigslist, most are "professionals" looking for a "touring band." These guys aren't interested in working with new bands and expect to get paid immediately. There aren't alot of guys like me, who are interested in playing for fun.

I've been surprised. I was fairly honest in my ad about my skills (or lack thereof), and I have gotten several calls already. Most do simply seem desperate to find a bassist. It's a good problem for me to have. :)
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey! Maybe the site has some sort of search feature, and it's finding "bassist; country" in your ad when it searches!

9. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not sure craigslist has a search function. It's pretty bare bones. Besides, anyone who actually read the ad would quickly discover their error.
  10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I made a living from country music for many years. I guess I just approach it from that viewpoint from habit.

Right, I gotcha, I was trying to provide you with an approach so you COULD enjoy it. But if that won't work, just say no. There must be others around who eschew country as you do. As somebody stated above, good bass players can be scarce!
    Good Luck!
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe you spelled it "coutry" in your ad and they were confused? ;)

I hear you, the general population has poor reading comprehension skills.
  12. It sounds like the band that contacted him was just desparate for a decent bass player, and the guy was trying to BS him into agreeing to play with them by telling him they'd be doing "little country."

I would suggest being as upfront as possible in your online ad postings. If you don't want to play country, say "I don't want to play in any country bands, period." Maybe state specifically what types of music you are interested in, and that might attract the kinds of acts you are looking for.
  13. My Add said no metal, no punk...all i got was metal and punk adverts.

I posted up my gear, and one guy asked if i had really been playing that long, because i listed i tuned my 5er EADGC.

When he called we talked, and he was adamant about it, i tried to explain but he didnt listen, ive learned not to take out adds, just go to local open mics.
  14. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hey, so you wanna play in a country band, huh? Got a good idea- advertise that you are seeking a hard-core rap/deathmetal/big-band/zydeco band with major label contract pending. Not interested in local gigs, only sold-out stadium tours. See what that brings ya! :eek: ;) :D
  15. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Have you responded to my ad? Where did you read that I WANTED to play country? ;)

Just messing with you, but I think it demonstrates what happens. People see an ad for a bassist, see the word "country" and reply to my ad.

Things have picked. I have gotten responses from two indie-rock-type groups, as well as a blues/funk cover group.
  16. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    This is pretty much normal. I put out an ad that started with the words "abnormal black metal" and got responses from a guy looking for a bassist for his electro pop band and a few that said "this all sounds real interesting except for the black metal part". Ads sometimes do work, though.

P.S. I love country.
  17. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

See my rant about Mr. Forcekullet in the non bass players thread. I've learned to tell people that Steve Digiorgio routinely strings his basses EADGC, and if they don't get the clue, they're idiots.
  18. ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    It's clear to me what you must do: Put out an ad stating that you want to play country, that you live and breathe country music with every fiber of your being! Also, state that you are interested in making a living playing music. That way, you won't get a single response from a band that plays country or that is interested in "making it." See how it works?

It's interesting (or sad, really) how the human brain functions. I experience a related phenomenon when trying to organize a poker game with my buddies on Friday nights. If I tell them that I absolutely need them to play in order to have enough players to get the game going, they won't show up. But if I tell them that the game's all set and that it doesn't really matter if they show up, then they always show up!

In conclusion: Something is very wrong with the way play people are wired. But don't let that stop you if there's nothing wrong with the way you're wired. You will find like-minded people out there, trust me. Just keep plugging away.
  19. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    This is not related to country music, but when my band was looking for a new singer and guitar player it was really bad as well. People simply don't seem to read your ads all the way through or they read what they want into it.

Pretty much our only real requirement was "must like the music we make and must be able to back it 100%! Please download our samples, here's our homepage address!"
    98% of the people who "auditioned" didn't bother listening to a single song! They just showed up and then somehow realised our music (which is relatively heavy in some songs so it's not everyone's cup of tea) wasn't really their thing! It was ridiculous! Why do people do this?

I somehow have the feeling this is the prace you pay for being a band that only plays originals, though.
  20. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It just keeps getting better:

Today I received an e-mail from a guy looking for a bassist for his country band that was going to spend the summers touring various country fairs. He claims he actually read my ad. :rolleyes:

Rolling totals:
    8 total replies to my ad
    5 from country bands / artists